1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Virtual Pc ??

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by sandisk, Apr 13, 2007.

1. sandisk

sandisk Regular member

Hi guy's, I have a few questions that some of you might be able to help me out with.

Basically I'm running Xp sp2 but for the past while I want to check out the features on Vista.

I have a lot of important stuff on my xp so I really don't want to install Vista onto a partition and run a dual boot.

Someone recommended to me that I download microsoft virtual pc 2007 and install vista on that and check out Vista in it's full on the virtual pc.

Can some of you guys confirm that this actually can be done ?
    And also when I'm finished checking out vista, can I delete the virtual pc from my pc and no traces of vista or the virtual pc will be left ?

As I said, I'd rather not dual boot Vista and Xp on my system so is this a safe way to use vista without installing it on my actual pc?

Thanks
    Sandisk

2. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

Yes you should be able to do this, provided that you have a very good computer. go to www.microsoft.com and search for the virtual pc if you want to download it. You will also need vista.

3. sandisk

sandisk Regular member

Thanks for the reply.

But I ran into another problem I didn't expect. I'm running Xp home edition as the host Pc and it's not supported by Vitrual Pc 2007.

Not to worry.

Thanks for the info on this.

Sandisk

4. andsteele

andsteele Member

Microsoft Virtual pc does run on Windows XP home version, even though it says it doesn't. When you try and install it, a pop up will tell you that you are not running the right version of windows, ignore it! the same pop up will come up when you start the program but it works fine. Search for virtual pc on wikipedia, it even says so under trivia or something like that. I use virtual pc all the time on my windows xp home edition machine. Works great. Try it.

5. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

They are right Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 does run on Windows XP Home, and I can confirm this because I am using it on XP Home. I believe that it will run but Microsoft just wont support it through their hotline unless your running one of the "officially supported OS's"

6. sandisk

sandisk Regular member

Thanks for the replys on this guys.

At least I know for the future that I have the option of running microsoft virtual pc on my home edition of xp.

Because I didn't know this yesterday, I done a bit of googling and came across VMware.

I'm not well up on "Virtual machines" so I don't know what differances there is between microsoft virtual pc and VMware but Vmware has done the job for me.

I was able to load vista home onto it and run it. I'm happy enough on Xp but just was curious about Vista's features.

I'm definitely sticking to Xp :)

Thanks for the info on this.

Sandisk

7. eiffel65

eiffel65 Regular member

Felt the same way, once :)

8. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

can your run other os on it like linux or unix?

9. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

If you can install the operating system in question on your PC you can install it in/on your Virtual Machine.

10. sandisk

sandisk Regular member

Yep thats right. I'm using Vmware as I said, and at the minute I'm running 2 virtual machines...Vista and Xp home. VMware gives you a drop down box and you select your virtual machine that your going to run and I'm pretty sure it names them all....windows/linux ect.....

Vmware is an excellent machine and it's just a pitty I didn't find it before now...but as I've no experience with Microsoft virtual machine 2007, it's possible that it could be better than VMware!!!!

I'm happy enough though :)

Sandisk

11. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

There's two versions of MSVPC 2007 ,the 32bit version & 64bit,download the one for your system and install it,once that's done just create a new virtual machine and in the drop down box select vista and away you go.it won't matter if there's a balls up it won't affect your xp

VMWARE would be a better choice as it's updated regularly and has a stack of add-ons, but if all you want to do is give vista a blast then MSVPC would be best,just be aware that using virtual machine the OS may not perform as well as dual booting,which by the way i wonder why is a prob since installing and deleting a dual boot config should'nt be a prob to test run vista,the only thing you'd have to do is read up on how to stop vista from being made the primary OS,and there are articles at cnet and techrepublic on that very subject,you may also find a dual core cpu would perform better

Last edited: Apr 16, 2007