1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

virtualdub AVI problem

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by dunc1n, Sep 15, 2005.

1. dunc1n

dunc1n Member

Ok, heres the thing, I have an avi file and a srt file in the same folder with the same name, I have vobsub and a million other different programs that allows me to watch the video file with the subtitles. I want to put the subtitles permantely onto the avi file then burn it to DVD so it works on a DVD player.
    NOW, I know how to do this but its the programs that just keep f**king up.
    When I go to open the file in VirtualDub I get an error message saying :- Couldnt locate decompressor for format "XVID" VirtualDub requires a video for windows (VFW) compatible codec to compress video. Directshow codecs such as those used by windows media player are not suitable.

So what the f**k does all that mean????
    I also tried using dvdsanta but that just randomly shuts down after about 10 minutes into the encoding process.
    I also tried TMPGEnc but the output file was faaaaaaar too big i.e. it only encoded about 3 mins and the file was 18 GIG!!!!
    Somebody please please help
    thanks in advance
    Dunc1n

2. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

It means that VirtualDub requires a video for windows (VFW) compatible decoder that can handle the fourCC "XVID". Best option is to install XviD.

You can find my latest build here: http://mirror05.x264.nl/celtic_druid/force.php?file=./xvid.cvs.head.exe

Will be updated later to finally fix the AR / non packed bframes bug if anyone is interested.

If you install it and still get the error, check that it actually shows up under the compression menu in VDub. If not then it looks like you probably have some corrupt vidc enteries in your registry.

Lastly I would suggest using VSFilter via AVISynth rather than VDub to avoid the RGB24 colourspace conversion.

3. dunc1n

dunc1n Member

I downloaded xvid and tried again, but this time I get a message (quite a long one, so I wont type it up), something about the audio and when I click ok it starts fine but when I preview it the audio is about 3 seconds out of sync with the video?!?!?!?
    Is there any way to fix this???
    Thanks

4. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Yes. Follow the instructions in the error box or use VirtualDubMod instead since it can handle VBR mp3.

5. Schwaber

Schwaber Regular member

hey, Am having trouble installing this program! I mean this is the first program ever that gave me an headache just installing it.. I clicked download and un-zipped all its files to my desktop. Now, I got multiple things that shows up and I clicked each and one of them but nothing happened.

CAN ANYBODY TELL ME HOW THEY INSTALLED VIRTUALDUB IN THEIR COMPUTERS.
    I know this is silly but damn, this is really wierd

6. OneMember

OneMember Active member