1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VirtualDub AVI splitting

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by Hattrick, Jun 7, 2002.

1. Hattrick

Hattrick Member

Question regarding burning AVI's to CD. I'm a newbie, and I follow the instructions for Virtual Dub for splitting my AVI's to a 'T'. However, for several movies, after I attempt to open the file to split it, the following message is received, "Virtual Dub has detected an improper VBR audio encoding in the source AVI file and will rewrite the audio header with standard CBR values during processing for better compatibility. This may introduce up to 14312 ms of skew from the video stream. If this is unacceptable, decompress the *entire* audio stream to an uncompressed WAV file and recompress with a constant bitrate encoder. (bitrate:131.4+/-9.8 kbps)". The first time I got this message, I just accepted it and I got poor sync between my video and audio on the copy. I guess this is what's meant by the "skew" mentioned above? Anywho, I know next to nothing about decompressing and recompressing with a bitrate encoder. Is there a step by step way I can fix this problem so even an idiot like myself can split these large AVI files to burn onto 2 CD's? Thanks.

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Open the video with VirtualDub, select Save WAV and then re-encode the WAV into CBR MP3 using LAME.

Or alternatively, get a tool called NanDub, which is a modified version of VirtualDub, and use it to split the AVI. It's only real use at the moment (it's been developed mostly for DivX3 encoding) is the fact that you can split video files with VBR MP3s as it accepts more audio formats than VirtualDub.

3. Murasaki

Murasaki Member

Open the avi file in VirtualDub. Set the Vidio to direct stream copy. The go to Audio, AVI audio, check full processing mode. Then hit compression. Then Save AVI & use the new AVI to split.

4. Hattrick

Hattrick Member

As pertains to above. Exactly what is the "skew" they are referring to in the prompt? I'm unfamiliar with the terminology. Is it the introduction of audio/video dyssynchronization?

5. Hattrick

Hattrick Member

Another quick question, Murasaki. I've done as you recommended, but when I then select "compression", a "select audio compression" pops up and apparently wants me to make a selection. Which of the multitude of options do I choose (e.g. CCITT A-Law, CCITT u-Law, IAC2, MPEG Layer-3, Windows Media Audio V1, Windows Media Audio V2, etc.)? I'm assuming after I select something here, I can then go to "Save AVI"? Thanks for the help, all.

6. Murasaki

Murasaki Member

Hatttrick in audio compression pic the first MPEG layer 3 & it depends on the AVI what kiBit/s it gives U (Don't check show all formats) If U see 160 44,100hz stereo pick that one or close to it.

7. Hattrick

Hattrick Member

One more questions, Mura. I couldn't find the specs you mentioned (160 44 100hz), so I just picked the highest Stereo option available 24,000 hz, 54. Do you think that will be ok? What's the different between those Stereo options? Is it quality? I know it took about 2 hours to make the new AVI file. Thanks.

8. Murasaki

Murasaki Member

Hattrick, Yes the one U picked is just fine. Stereo is a better sound quality. Mono only get one channel so U get one sound from left and right speakers. Sereo has 2 channel so your left & right will have its own soud>. If U wont more detail look up Stereo & mono.

9. Hattrick

Hattrick Member

Murasaki, Thanks. I created the new file, the audio and video are in synch, and as an added bonus, the file created is now small enough to burn onto a single CD! I didn't appreciate any loss in quality. Was there supposed to be a loss in audio or video quality? If so, was it just so unnoticable that it didn't have any appreciable affect? Also, can you define the term "skew" that I mentioned in the first post? Thanks a bunch.

10. Murasaki

Murasaki Member

I don't know the term "skew" so I can't help U there. On the loss of Video quality did U set the video to direct stream copy? Also U can juice the volume. Do all the step I sed before plus in audio hit volume & check adjust volume of audio channels & then slide about 325 or 429.

11. deepvoice

deepvoice Guest

!!! HELP I ENCODED A MOVIE WITH DivX5.02 AND IM USING WINDOWS XP PRO & WHEN I TRY TO USE VIRTUALDUB 1.4.10 THE LATEIST VERSION !!!

I GET THIS ERROR "Couldn't locate decompressor for format'DX50' (unknown)

VirtualDub requires a Video for Windows (VFW) compatible codec to decompress video. DirectShow codecs, such as those used by Windows Media Player, are not suitable. "

I EVEN DOWNLOADED THAT LINK FOR DIVX5.01 AT THIS SAME FUCKIN AFTERDAWN SITE THAT DOESN'T WORK EATHER.

IF ANY ONE CAN HELP TELL ME WITH LOTS OF DETAIL

THANKS IN ADVANCE

12. Sai999

Sai999 Member

Nice way to ask for help deepvoice, slangering the site that will get u booted fast.

13. Sai999

Sai999 Member

mistyped change slangering dissing

14. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Bye-bye.

15. brewcrew

brewcrew Member

I wanted to thank Hattrick for having the same problem i had with the audio being out of sync with the video after splitting the avi. But I would mostly like to thank Murasaki for the excellent, easy to follow, steps he gave to correct this problem. I am now encoding the file and hoping that it will fit onto 1 cd as did Hattrick's file.