1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VirtualDub dosn't handle Avis with VBR audio

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by stibi, Sep 10, 2008.

1. stibi

stibi Regular member

Hi,
    I saw in Afterdawn Forums discussions on the above subject. Some member said the problem can be solved by using VirtualDubMod instead of VirualDub. Though those discussions were held many years ago, and since then there are newer versions of both - VirtualDub 1.8.5 and VirtualDubMod 1.5.4.1 - neither of those programs handles Avi files with VBR audio streams.
    Isn't there some more or less simple solution for that problem, understandable to less experienced users ?
    Thanks in advance for any help
    stibi

2. KajNrig

KajNrig Regular member

What are you trying to do with your .avi file?

3. stibi

stibi Regular member

Hi Nrig, and thanks for your quick response,

I wanted to add to the Avi permanent subtitles.

stibi

4. KajNrig

KajNrig Regular member

Well, I remember there's a way to deal with it with VDub, but frankly, that program's getting old.

You could write an AviSynth script and re-encode using MeGUI, but that process doesn't qualify as "simple." Still, it's much more reliable than VDub, in my book.

If you've got a demuxing tool, you could try demuxing the video and audio. Then you run the video through VDub, do your encoding, and mux the new video back into the audio.

...actually, that seems to be it. The few forums I just checked out have been making some mention or another of...

1.) Open VDubMod and load your .avi. (If I remember correctly, there'll be a warning about your vbr audio. Ignore it.)

2.) Go to the Audio options (or something... Audio Stream options, maybe?) and click on "Direct Stream copy." Choose your output (I'd use .ac3), click "Save as WAV," and your audio'll be demuxed.

3.) Re-encode your video, mux the audio back in, and you should have a new .avi that works wonders.

4.) ...or you could use AviSynth and MeGUI.

5. stibi

stibi Regular member

Hi KajNrig,
    Thanks for your prompt response.
    First I will try the save as wav etc. in VirualDub. I will, of course, let you know whether it worked.
    stibi