1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VirtualDub error No audio decompressor trouble

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by PSpence, May 22, 2005.

1. PSpence

PSpence Member

I have been changing my avi to mpegs. I read the forums I did this method I read and it worked beautifully.

You should select Audio, Full processing, then file, save .wav in VirtualDub.
    Transcode the .wav to AC3 in ffmpeggui.

If your source file is 23.976, then select NTSC DVD FILM in the wizard. This will encode at 23.976 with 3:2 pulldown for you.
    If you're not using the wizard, select the same things manually on the Settings screen(s).
    DO NOT touch the framerate settings.
    You're trying to make a DVD, not a VCD, nor SVCD.

In the TMPGEnc wizard, select NTSC DVD.
    Set the audio to CBR mpeg-1 layer 2 (mp2).
    Click Next.
    Open the video file.
    Video type, select non-interlaced.
    Aspect ratio, 1:1 VGA.
    Content of video, FILM MOVIE!!! <---take note of this. Here is where 3:2 pulldown is applied.
    Click Next.
    Click the Other Settings button.
    Set DC Component precision to 10.
    Do NOT touch anything else on that screen.
    Click OK.
    Click Next.
    Adjust bitrate if needed, so it all fits on one disk.
    Adjust audio bitrate down to 64 so that it's minimum size. It will be discarded anyhow.
    Click Next.
    Put a tick mark IN the box labeled, "Output video and audio as individual elementary streams".
    Click OK.
    This will produce an m2v and an mp2.
    Delete the mp2.
    Load the AC3 and m2v into your authoring program.
    Black holes are where God divided by zero...
    Cheers, Jim

It has done great all this time. Now I have some saying Error no audio decompressor could be found to decompress the source audio format. I dont understand why its doing that now. The method worked great all this time. I need some help. I read the forums couldn't find the answer.

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Avoid transcoding the sound to AC3. MPEGs don't support it and you, later, will need an application capable to convert AC3 --> MP2.
    WAV -> ACV3 is useful only to author a DVD or to make an AVI with dolby surrond sound (and how will you watch it? With a DVD player with surround speakers, I assume, or the sound heard won't be Dolby Surround at all!)
    If you have a WAV you can either load directly the WAV as 'audio input' in TMPGenc (or any other enocder you have, if that option is applicable..) or encode it to 'MP2 224 kbps' with HeadAC3he and multiplex to the video aftter you converted the AVI to a 'mute' mpeg.

Last edited: May 23, 2005
  3. PSpence

PSpence Member

I cant make a wav or ac3 is what I dont understand. I was not even making the avi into audio wav files at first but the audio was so out of sync. So when I use the virtual dub and then the ffmpeggui. Everything worked great.I dont know why they all was working till now. It was tv series. Now some of them dont work. When I put it in tmpge no audio comes up when I add the video file. The sound is perfect on the computer but for some reason it cant detect the sound on anything else.

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

5. PSpence

PSpence Member

So you think the AC3ACM Decompressor is what I need to fix my problem?
    Ok I cant figure out how to open it and use it. I got it and unzipped it and thats it. lol Thats as far as I got with it.

6. Minion

Minion Senior member

Just Right click the "AC3ACM.inf file and go to "Install" and that is It....and yes it might fix your problem ,That is if the problem is that you can"t get these programs to read the AC3 audio in your AVI file....

7. PSpence

PSpence Member

Well it didnt fix it. I installed it and still didnt do anything. Thanks so much anyways.

8. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Open the file in Gspot. See what audio codec it needs (probably VBR MP3). Get Fruanhoffer or Lame mp3 codec installed if this is the case. Tmpgenc will not accept VBR MP3 audio, so you should continue to extract full processing .wav in virtualdub.
    Wrong. For true DVD compliance, audio should be AC3. MP2 and even LPCM are supported in most players, but not all.

9. PSpence

PSpence Member

ok well I had gspot already downloaded cuz I tried to work with it. It says it is a 0x0055(MP3) ID'd as MPEG-1 Layer 3.
    If I click the Franhofer under the compatible codec does that do anything? I tried that before and it still didnt do anything. I just dont get it. I tried to full process it in virtualdub after putting it in the gspot and it says the samething the error. Am I not doing the right thing in gspot???

10. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Gspot only gives you information.
    Codecs can be downloaded and installed, and sometimes configured in different software, but generally they just work.
    I suggest you download and install any good mp3 codec again, and install again.
    Obviously vdub cannot recognize your VBR MP3 audio.

One other thought...older versions of vdub won't work with mp3 either...do you have an updated/newer version?
    Have you tried virtualdubmod, virtualdub-mpeg, or virtualdub-ac3 (all different from the original virtualdub)?

11. PSpence

PSpence Member

Two more questions about that please. In Virtualdubmod its not like virtualdub so I cant figure out where the audio full process and the save wav file part is at. Second what codec should I download? I am going to try both the virtualdubmod and try to find a codec surely something will work. I am sorry to bother you so much.

12. PSpence

PSpence Member

ok scatch that about the virtualdubmod. I figured out and it still said the decompressor error.

13. PSpence

PSpence Member

Ok I downloaded the Lame Codex. I unzipped it. Now what it does nothing. If I can figure this out I promise to leave you alone. lol

14. Minion

Minion Senior member

IF you PM me with your e-mail address I can send you a Tool that will decompress the audio in your AVI file which should stop V-Dub from giveing you that Error message...

This tool will only work if you have the Correct codec installed which you should have if you can hear the audio when Playing the File on your PC....

Cheers

15. PSpence

PSpence Member

Well I got the Lame codec and the list in virtualdub under the compression I clicked the one that gspot said it was. At least I think that it is. Then I clicked save wav and it said error something about not the correct codec so I have no idea. Am I doing the right thing? Under the gspot it says 128kb/s 64 ch UBR Lame 3.95 48000HZ. So in VirtualDub under compression Lame MP3 I clicked 48000hz 128kbs CBR Stereo 16 kbs. Is that correct?

Last edited: May 25, 2005
  16. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

No, you don't want to apply the codec, you just want virtualdub to recognize the audio, so you can rip it.
    Open the file in vdubmod, select streams, stream list.
    RIGHT click the audio file, click Save WAV.
    Done.

17. PSpence

PSpence Member

Well I figured out with help from you guys and searching on the net like crazy. This worked but the quality of the picture is not as good but at least the audio is in sync. I put the file in virtualdubmod under stream line I clicked demux then took that put it in headac3 and made my wav. Then I put it in ffmpeggui and made my ac3. Then I put the file the avi into teh x-converter and made it no audio. That made a mute mpeg. Then I put the mute mpeg and the ac3 in the authoring program and then I burned it. Now it works. So thanks guys for the help. I wanted to post this in case someone else can benefit from it.

18. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

You could have bypassed the demux/headach3 step, just save .wav in vdubmod (full processing).
    Then ffmpeggui to transcode.
    To get a better quality video, don't use x-mpeg, try some of the others, there are even free ones.

19. PSpence

PSpence Member

It would not save in virtualdub. I tried and tried. Never could figure out that step so I did something different. Yeah I know I could use something for better quality but the TMPGE wouldn't work so I just used x-converter instead.

20. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

If tmpgenc won't work, you still don't have the needed codec(s) (probably).
    Have you got the vfapi reader installed?
    Have you changed the environmental priority?
    Did you try virtualdubMOD?
    Did you look around for instructions on how to frameserve?
    What I'm getting at, is there's always more than one way to skin this particular cat. :)