1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

virtualdub log file?

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by the1doit, Apr 25, 2007.

1. the1doit

the1doit Member

Is there any filters for vdub that can output a logfile as to the encoding of a video.

What I need is something to show me how long it took to encode, encoding frame rate, encoder settings, etc..

I thought for sure there would be a way to create a logfile. But I have searched for 2 hours now and haven't found anything.

thanx

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

In VirtuelDub, press F8 (Options___Show Log). Right-click on the window which shows the log and select Save as...
    I don't know how to make this output automatical, though.....

Last edited: Apr 26, 2007
  3. the1doit

the1doit Member

That doesn't give any good information. No times, no settings, the info it gives is pretty much useless:

[*] AVI: Opening file
    "C:\Burn\Documentary\Burned-Unviewed\StarGaze2-Hubble.avi"

[*] Beginning preview operation.

Dub: Input (decompression) format is: RGB888.

Dub: Output (compression) format is: RGB888.

[*] Ending operation.

The only thing I can use from it is the colorspace format.

I think there is a filter for avisynth that will output a text log file. Was wondering if there is anything for vdub.

thanks.

4. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

No, if dub interrupts for some error it writes it.
    I usually write all (input file codec & resolution; audio type; VitualDub filters used and so on...) on a TXT file which I keep on my PC....

5. the1doit

the1doit Member

OK. That's fine if I'm trying to find an error, but I dont have any problems. I just wanted a way to track how long it takes, input/output file info, settings, etc... for each of my encodes. That way after a few encodes of the same file, I could go back and reference to see which settings are most effecient. I was just hoping it would be an automated process. It doesn't seem that it would be hard to find something like that. I guess I could always try to write my own filter - bleh...

6. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

If you wanted to automate testing different encoder settings you could try avs2avi. It can save/load encoder settings or you could use registry keys. Just use > to output to a text/log file. It will give you encoding times and average fps.