1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VirtualDUB & PS3 Question. Please Help!

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by HRFQDR, Dec 11, 2008.

1. HRFQDR

HRFQDR Member

Hi.

I followed the VirtualDUB guide that is here in after dawn:

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/adding_subs_to_avi.cfm

I saved the .avi as XVid & as Divx and both worked fine, i have my video with the embedded subtitles.

My problem is that when I go play the video in my Playstation 3 it does not work and I get unsupported file.
    The original video plays fine in the PS3 and seems to be the same type than the one I created with subtitles when I checked their properties.

Weird thing is the first video I ever tried to put subtitles in using the VirtualDUB guide like a week ago shows up in my PS3! (Don't remember if I saved it as Xvid or Divx), but ever since that 1st one all the others I've tried don't work, i get unsupported video.

Other question is, what is the best way to loose the less possible, if any, video quality using VirtualDUB

Please Help!!!

2. KajNrig

KajNrig Regular member

Do you mean even the ones that worked before are now not working? Or do you mean that every new one you try doesn't work?

As far as that first one goes, I'd personally suggest just using the x264 encoder to do it, instead of DivX or Xvid. For that, you'll have to use something like MeGUI + Avisynth.

...but that's probably a bit more complicated than you want to go.

The problem most likely is that you've encoded the file using DivX/Xvid settings that aren't compatible with the PS3. You could try re-encoding your new video with some other program... though the only one I know how to use is MeGUI.

As far as retaining quality, I'd say that aiming for the same filesize is always a good place to start. If you've got a 1 GB file, for example, you can (at least in MeGUI) manually set the projected filesize of the re-encoded video to 1 GB, and it'll calculate the bitrate accordingly.

...so my suggestion would be to go with MeGUI, but it might not be what you're looking for. Try asking this is in the PS3 forum, too. They'll definitely have more answers there as this deals more with video encoding (specifically for the PS3) than with subtitles.

3. HRFQDR

HRFQDR Member

Thanks for the response.

To clear up your first question, the first one I made still works, it's the new ones that don't work. Weird right?

Hey, if MeGUI can do the same process (inserting subtitles in the video) and it will support playback on the PS3 and keep the quality by letting me choose the same filesize, im all for it!!!

Is it a lot more complicated than VirtualDUB?
    This is why you said its a bit more complicated than what i want?

Is there a tutorial for MeGUI??

Also, wanted to let you know my only interest is putting the subtitles on the video and not loosing quality, putting the same filesize, I dont need to learn anything else

Thanks again

Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  4. KajNrig

KajNrig Regular member

I'm not sure how much more complicated than VDub it is, because I haven't used VDub much, but it is fairly complicated and you need to know Avisynth scripts and stuff.

That said, I'm sure there's a tutorial somewhere for using it. The thread I use to ask questions about video encoding and stuff is here: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/621809

...but it's more geared towards HD content (though the same steps can be used for your video, too.)

Anyway.

In regards to your question, here's basically what you have to do:

0.) In VirtualDub, open up your .avi and demux the audio stream. If you don't know how to do this, then either search the forum or ask me.

1.) Download and install Avisynth, MeGUI, and tsMuxer.

2.) Open up Notepad. Type in the following:

AviSource("C:/...path.../your video file.avi")

3.) Save the file as a .avs file (Under "Save as type," choose "All files" and save as "blahblahblah.avs".)

4.) Open up MeGUI and install all the updates.

5.) Under Avisynth script, navigate to where your .avs file is and open it. You should get a preview window to pop up, showing your video.

6.) Choose an encoder. I'd personally use one of the x264 encoder profiles because it's a very high-quality encoder. (If you can find it, try to use the "Standalone_Bluray" profiles.) This is one of the most important steps, because depending on what you choose, you'll get good, bad, or horrible quality from your video.

7.) Most of the other stuff you should be able to figure out, such as the container, etc., so I'll leave that out of the picture. If you can't figure it out, though, let me know.

8.) Up in the Options tab or something, there's something called a Bitrate calculator. You can use this to make sure that the quality of your video stays the same. Just make sure the filesize is the exact same as your original.

9.) Click on the "Queue" button and in the Jobs tab, there'll be a new job waiting for you. Start encoding it, and within a few... minutes/hours, you should have a brand new video file.

10.) Open up tsMuxer. Add in your new video file, your old audio file, and mux all of it into an .m2ts container. Once this is done, you should have a file that's playable on the PS3.

11.) If you do all this and get issues, let me know and I'll see what I can do to help.