1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VirtualDub Sharpening filter help

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by rogue212, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

sorry guys im abit lost, any updates to how things are going?

are you manually altering compression settings? or just useing default save as xvid codec?

http://www.videoenhancer.net/VirtualDubFilters/

looked into MSU sharpen or warpsharp or xsharpen or fxwarpsharp and mssharpen looks interesting...

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  2. rogue212

rogue212 Guest

Sorry i thought the this thread was closed.

Ianpbx, Rotary is the man if you need answers regarding your problem, i've just been using the default Xvid codec as Rotary showed me with virtualdub and havin't had any problems.

I think you can set a target output size in MB with most encoders including virtualdub, ask Rotary for some advice on how.

I wouldn't mind a "how to guide" about manual compression settings, choosing an output sizes and the benefits of other codecs for better quality etc.

I gave up on videoehancer as it didn't really do what it said on the tin, i'm currently trying to find the best way to burn HD files to dvd, which programs, codecs etc to get the best quality.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2008
  3. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

for the extra settings, after choosing xvid codec, click the configure button.

try 2 passes, move slider up higher, etc have a look around in there.
    ---------------

you say HD files? what type of file .mkv / x.264?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  4. rogue212

rogue212 Guest

I have files in both mkv/X264 and avi/H264, i'm now starting to learn two pass mode with virtualdub as i've been away and havin't done any video encoding for a while.

I've been trying to get my HD motherboard to use the Hi-Def component tv out to my HD tv for better video quality but it's turning out to be impossible.

I can't even get the DVI to RGB to work, tried all settings in the bios etc and i wanted to use a DVI to HDMI converter to play my HD files on my tv but it's looking impossible.

I've been on the Asus web site and there's lots of people with the same motherboard who can't even get it to recognise a new graphics card, so seems it's a bug with that board.

Sorry about that little rant, i need a refresher on two pass encoding with virtualdub, i know you have to save the first pass etc but i'll browse the forum for guides as you've helped me a lot in the past and i don't want to bore you with my ignorance.

Will be experimenting with virtualdub and try the settings you've suggested, thanks once again for your time.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2008
  5. Ianpbx

Ianpbx Member

Re: my previous entry 21st April.

I've resolved the problem. After looking around I found that I could use the xVid codec for this purpose ie. sharpening and recoding to .avi, and what's more it doesn't throw up all the conflicts that the DivX codec causes. Also, the bitrate I was using, which was advised in some forum (1200kbps) was higher than I needed, the original being 57kbps.
    I found that the 'data rate' in properties of the original file is the bitrate (is this correct), so lowered the bitrate of the copy accordingly.

6. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

i too have an asus motherboard with dvi to hdmi into HDTV 42 plasma (also need separate audio cable) dvi to hdmi doesnt carry sound.

my mobo = A8NSLI Deluxe dual raid
    G-card = geforce 7800GT 256meg

i extend desktop useing control panel and set res etc in control panel.

i would start a thread here in HDTV section or somwwhere then post link to me! also others can help you too, we get it sorted...

what are yuor specs for g-card / mobo?

[​IMG]

7. Ianpbx

Ianpbx Member

8. Rotary

Rotary Senior member