1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Virtualdub version1.5.4

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by Hazelnut, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Hazelnut

Hazelnut Member

Hi. My probles is similar to user Mattmnz.
    Opened video in GSpot. no errors.Rendering claims video can be played in O/S. When playing video back, same as for user Mattmnz,sound ok,but the video is totally garbled,distorted,pink + purple hues.Advice given to Mattmnz was to down-load Virtualdub & open video in it.According to inform. in Knowledge Base link of Virtualdub.org, there are still open bugs in vers. 1.4.13. In the Home link, the 6/19/03 news article mentions: vers. 1.5.4 doesn't process files in direct mode as fast as in vers. 1.4.13 'cause it drops to non-streaming AVI read mod.As video & audio pipelines are decoupled & tend to drift farther apart during operation, leading to the AVI Layer disabling streaming due to a high cache miss rate, & a few other problems. Please read article on the site.
    I do not understand any thing of whatI typed.What I would like to know, in simple terms & explanation, will Virtualdub work as it is supposed to (no crashing, or errors),(refer to mentioned problems above) with Windows XP Profess., 32 bit color, 2.41HHZ. I am not a programmer,& know very little about such matters. I learn slowly as I go,with your help. Thanks for your support and advice. Regards

2. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

Was this video still 'garbled' after installing FFDSHOW?

3. Hazelnut

Hazelnut Member

Hi Powderdup. After I clicked on RENDER, in FFDShow, in info. it said something about asking the O/S to accept parameters or such.
    Anyways, after rendering, all movies but one, (not taking into account quality)opened up.
    However, I can not say if they all work completely. I only watched the Anime videos. The others are two hours each, and I haven't watched them in full yet, so can't say if there are any more errors within the videos.

p.s. in regards to my previous question, do I or do I not need to install Virtualdub vers. 1.5.14 the way it is? Would it come into good use in the future?
    Thank a bunch. Regards.

4. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

Yes you should download it just in case you get some movies that you need to fix up.

5. Hazelnut

Hazelnut Member

Hi Powerdup. Thank as always for your help.
    I will down-load Virtualdub. Hope it's not too complicated to learn & use.
    1)Now that I have GSpot. Do I need to download the AVI CODEC application, from: http:/avicodec.duby.info/ ? Are these software exactly the same? Do you recommend for me to down-load it?
    2)I read one of your answers to a user where U recommended for him to use AVI FIX. The user replied that by the time the video was fixed, it was reduced to a few minutes. Either way, do you still recommend that I down-load it? Is it totally different from Virtualdub?
    3)I down-loaded Direct X, which seemed to help a lot with the playback problems that I had (ie. no picture). Will DIRECT SHOW also help with the multi-media applications & enhance playback?.
    Info. on site explained where to start in Explorer something or other, which I did not understand. Is this application exectuable the same as all down-loaded file?
    4)How to deactivae the codec 5 in FFDShow? If deactivated, can it be re-activated? U prev. mentioned that FFDShow becomes the default, then, If I also use the DIVX 5.0.5 codec package, does it have different codecs than the FFDShow? How can I see the list of the DIVX 5.0.5 codecs installed on my HD?.
    5)I keep getting password, loging errors when I click REPLY.My password is in memory to remember, but I always have to re-type it manually. What is the problem here? How many duplicates have you reveived?
    Thank you again for your support. Regards

6. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

I dont think your replies were posted.

1. Yes you should just in case gspot cant help you with a movie. Im not sure if they are the same but they have similar function which is to determine codecs used in a movie.

2. If you have a movie that has audio and video synch problems avifixed can help you with that. virtualdub and avifixed can help with the above problem but I think avifixed is a little easier to use. Only problem is sometimes you might get corrupt files so you should make backups of a movie before you run it through avifixed.

3. Im not sure about this question but yes directx will help with multimedia.

4. The divx codec package only comes with the divx codec. FFDSHOW uses the libavcodec to decode movies. To see the list of codecs on your computer you have to get into the control panel and click on add or remove programs. Ok in supported codecs, click on the divx5 box and choose disable.
    When you do this, all your divx movies that were encoded with divx versions 5.0 and above will be decoded by the divx 5.05 codec. Thats all youre doing, just switching between using the libavcodec or the divx 5.05 codec. And yes you can undo this by simply choosing libavcodec on the divx5 option.

7. Hazelnut

Hazelnut Member

Hi Powerdup: I Sent a reply, think it got lost, had problems accessing this site.
    1)regarding Aug.14/03 quest.#3:DIRECT SHOW (ogg/vorbis) & AC3 Filter v.0.70b. How do these help play back? What are their functions? Do I need to down-load these also?
    2)Regarding Aug.14/03 quest.#4:How to deactivate codecs pro 5.0.5 & use FFDShow codecs: I went to Control Panel; Add/Remove. There is no Divx 5 box. No Disable option. There is the title "divx Pro Codecs", and only Change/Remove option. Do your instructions apply to Windows XP?
    3)U suggested I down-load Virtual Dub. There's: Virtual Dub vers. 1.5.4 (16297); Virtural Dub.Mod, vers. 1.3C (last version which has ASF support); & Virtual Mod vers. 1.5.1.19. Which one do I need to down-load? Is vers. 1.3C to be down-loaded in addition to vers. 1.5.4 (the latest version)?. If u received similar previous quest.(my system crashed)plse. ignore it. These are the ones I need help with. Having problems sending this message again. Problem with login name & or password.
    Thank for your help & advice. Regards.

8. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

1. The ac3filter is used to decode/playback ac3 audio. Which helps you only when you have a movie which has ac3 audio. If you dont have any movies like that then there is no need. The same thing for the ogg/vorbis filter. If you dont have any movies that have ogg/vorbis audio then you dont need to download it.

2. Ok, you might have misunderstood what i meant. When you want to disable ffdshow from decoding divx 5 movies, simply get into the start menu, then in all programs, get into ffdshow and then configuration. From there get into the codec options and in supported codecs, click on divx5. You will then be given the choice of disable or libavcodec. Choose disable. Doing this allows the divx 5.05 codec to decode your movies. If you choose libavcodec, ffdshow will decode your movies not the divx 5.05 codec. There is no need to remove the divx 5.05 codec.

3. You should download the newest version of virtualdub. The only reason to download version 1.3C is if you have asf files and you want to deal with them. Though i dont know much about the 1.3C version, it is out of date and most likely contains a few bugs that newer versions of vdub have fixed._X_X_X_X_X_[small]Life is but a dream...so wake me up already!!![/small]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2003
  9. Hazelnut

Hazelnut Member

Hi Powerdup: Thank u for taking the time to read and figure out what I usually mean problems wise. I will down-load Virtual Dub version 1.5.4. I read some of your ans. to other users about play back time problems. U mentioned that Virtual Dub can open Mpeg files to convert to Avi files, & can Resave a movie.
    What type of software is it? What site (link) can I go to, to learn about all its fundctions & how to use it?. Thanks again. Regards.

10. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

11. Hazelnut

Hazelnut Member

Hi Powerdup: I down-loaded VirtualDub V1.5.4 zip, & VirtualDub 1.5.4-src.zip.bz2 (for Pentium 4)if I understood instructions correctly (from site).I'm using Trial version for V1.5.4(free for how long?).
    1)I double-clicked on Virt.Dub v.1.5.4 zip file,& it opened a window, with various features in it. (to be figured out later on..).
    2)When I double-clicked on the 2nd icon, Vir.Dub 1.5.4-src.zip.bz2 (for Pentium 4), I am asked to open with winzip (I have win zip 8.1). The following options are:(a)add to file.
    (b) add to virtual dub 1.5.4-src.zip.zip (c)add to recently used zip file (d)configure.
    Am I supposed to combine these two (2) down-loads? What do I do here?
    Thanks for your support & good advice.Regards.

12. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

You dont need the .src file unless youre adept at programming and can actually read it. The only reasons for actually having this file is if you want to see the inside of virtualdub,you know to see what makes virtualdub virtualdub. Or to recompile the program.

What do you mean trial version? Virtualdub is freeware.

All you need to do is extract the files of the virtualdub zip file. Youre running xp right, so that means you dont need winzip to extract the files. Just right click the zip file and youll get the option to Extract. Click it and follow the directions.

13. Hazelnut

Hazelnut Member

Hi again: I down-loaded Virtual Dub from Virtualdub.org site. I removed the .src down-load, as you said it was too advanced for what I need. For the Virtualdub 1.5.4 application, when I double-click on the short-cut icon I created on the desktop,(have not yet un-zipped the file), I get a window saying Winzip 8.1 trial version. In the window, I see various items, among them I see Virtualdub. Perhaps, its the Winzip 8.1 that is the trial version. If Virtualdub 1.5.4 is the same one from virtualsub.org site or the doom 9.org site, please advise. I just need to unzip the file and run it in setup.exe
    I think I am still confused about how to down-load & unzip applications.
    p.s. once I click on the e-mail thread notification, advising that my thread has been updated, can that link be used again?
    Thanks again. Your help is much appreciated.

14. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

Yeah the link can be used again.

Before you can use Virtualdub, youll have to unzip the program. Im sure both versions of VirtualDub are the same. Actually you dont need to run any installer when you want to use vdub. After you unzip the virtualdub zip file youll be able to use it.

Ok, right click on the zip file you downloaded from virtualdub.org and you should see something along the lines of Extract file or something. Click on that and follow the instructions.

15. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Just to clarify your earlier question, AVICodec and GSpot essentially perform the same task The main differences are:
    - Gpost is a smaller more convient app that doesnt require instllation, adds no registry entries and provides much more information regarding AVI files (and Mp3s and Quicktime files too i believe). GSpot is not so effective when dealing with MPEG files. GSpot allows for rendering and testing of AVI files to see if they run on your computer
    - AVICodec, does require and install and makes messy shell integration all over the place (but can be removed very easily), it also is able to analyze AVI files and provides direct shortcuts to codecs required for those AVI movies so you dont have to actually go search for stuff. The real shiner is when you come to anaylyze MPEGs. AVICodec wil give you the bitrate and such info on those too. Lastly AVICodec allows you to batch up an entire folder to scan ans such.

If you had to choose one or the other I would probably reccommend you use AVICodec (for its batching and MPEG capabilities) but honestly though, it may be a good idea to have both programs and use GSpot for your AVI needs and AVICodec for MPEG/batching needs.

GSpot: http://www.headbands.com/gspot/
    AVICodec: http://avicodec.duby.info/

16. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

Sounds like avicodec would be a great program to have.
    More so because of the batch option you mentioned Praetor. Thanks for the info.

17. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

A thing you may not like however is that during the install AVICodec installs a bunch of registry entries that associates damn near everything on your computer with it hehe. I.e., start right-clicking on stuff and you will see "Browse with AVICodec", "AVICodec: detailed information" hehe. While this is useful, do you really need to batch up something like the recycle bin? hehe

To get rid of it just goto the AVICodec options and uncheck the boxes for associating stuff with AVICodec and exit the program using the quit button . For some demented reason, sometimes the changes are not made unless you use the AVICodec quit button. Of course you can always remove the entries from registry manually... of course if you havnt unchecked the boxes, the associates will be reformed every time you start up AVICodec hehe

18. Powa

Powa Regular member

Lol. I had that problem a week ago. I was trying to open up my movie in WMP which was the default player and it kept opening it in AVIcodec. I looked in the filetypes options and avi was set to load WMP as default etc. Was driving me crazy no-end. Then I found the option within the program - all solved :)

19. Hazelnut

Hazelnut Member

Hi Powerdup, & Praetor. Thank you both.
    Praetor: yes, I noticed that by right clicking with mouse, "Browse with Avi Codec" showed up. Now that you explained, I see where it came from. When you said: uncheck the boxes associated with staff with Avi-Codec, do you mean the ones that say: (1)enable context menu extension for multi media files, & (2)enable content menu extension for folders?.
    To exit the program using Quit Button, do you mean the X?, I don't see a Quit Button.
    Also,the information in the columns on the left side of same window, leave Defaults as is?
    Each one has a drop-down arrow, with several options for each of the defaults. Will I ever need to know what, or why, all the other options are being used for? Any particular web site?
    I just lost my message again. Same problem with my password. A mystery to me. Does this happen often to anyone else?
    Thanks again to you both. Regards