1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

virtualdub

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by StillTry, Jan 14, 2002.

1. StillTry

StillTry Member

Ok Guys, I'm still learning this software so go easy on me.

My Problem is the audio doesnt match the video... It's slow by like 5 seconds. I followed the instructions to split the Divx to a smaller size to fit on a cd but can't fiqure out if it's my lack of knowledge or my computer that is causing this.

Anybody have any ideas for me to try?

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

The audio was out of sync even before you split the file? And is it already out of sync in the beginning of the movie? And does the gap increase when going towards the end of the movie?

3. StillTry

StillTry Member

The original file is right on target. However when I split it becomes out of sync. This 5 seconds does not increase towards the end.

Is there a way to seperate the wav file from the movie and then add it?

4. dRD

Sounds pretty weird that audio gets out of synch when splitting the file. Did you use keyframe position to split the file?

And does the gap increase in the split file when you go towards the end (== is the video framerate/speed different than the audio framerate/speed) or is it just constantly 5secs off (==source displacement).

Is it is the latter, open the "corrupted" file and click CTRL+I. For the preload box put either positive or negative values, depending on your synch issue (audio comes first or video comes first). Then save the file again. This needs lots of trial and error testing, but it helps.

5. Taff

Taff Guest

I'm getting exactly the same problem. It's only with one AVI which plays perfect in it's original form, but once split with VirtualDub (1.4.8)the video/sound sync is lost. Any idea's would be great. Is there any other software I could use to try splitting it?

6. dRD

Did you split the file using keyframes?

7. dankehoe1

dankehoe1 Guest

i, too have the identical issue, and yes, i did use key frames. he sync is off by like 4-5 secs. using virtual dub. virtual dub tells me when i open the file that it has detected an improper vbr and wants to encode with a standard cbr which, it says will slew the vid-aud sync. and that if i dont like this, i should strip the wav in uncompressed format and recompress with a constant bitrate, which it says shoud be 127.8 +/- 13.1 kps. so, i have no friggin idea how to do the latter, but i am sure i will figure it out. i will let you know. falcor

8. dRD

Simple. Open the video with Dub and select Save WAV. Then use CDEx or similiar and encode the WAV to CBR MP3 (add Riff-WAV headers -- instructions can be found from our DVD -> DivX guide) and after you've done this, load the new MP3 encoded .wav using Dub's Audio -> WAV audio feature.

9. dankehoe1

dankehoe1 Guest

i did something like that doc. i used virtual dub and saved the wav then i used tmpgenc and selected the original video and used the wav that i stripped as the audio, it fell right on the money. thanks falcor

10. Street

Street Member

"Simple. Open the video with Dub and select Save WAV. Then use CDEx or similar and encode the WAV to CBR MP3 (add Riff-WAV headers -- instructions can be found from our DVD -> DivX guide) and after you've done this, load the new MP3 encoded .wav using Dub's Audio -> WAV audio feature."

OK,
    I'm admittedly a newbie but the terminology being tossed around is confusing when it's not specifically correct.

I'm trying to solve the skewed bi-rate problems addressed in this thread.

I encoded a stripped wave to cbr mp3 which resulted in an mp3 file. How do you then pull this back into Dub. I'm using version 1.4.10 which allows you to specify the audio in an AVI or .wav file. I see no provision for working with an audio .mp3 file.

The instructions above say to load the new MP3 encoded .wav and therein lies the confusion because I'm getting an MP3 encoded .MP3 file not a .wav file.

Plus can anyone actually point me to the DVD-->DIVX guide referenced here. I've found a couple of articles but none that actually go into "add riff-WAV headers" referred to here.

11. dRD

Street: CDEx allows you to save the MP3 as a Riff-WAV MP3 -- WAV itself is not actually an audio format, but a container format, which doesn't describe the actual encoding. Look at our DVD->DivX5 guide for screenshots how to save the audio with CDEx as a Riff-WAV MP3. This truly has an extension of .wav, but it is really an MP3 -- and it can be loaded with VirtualDub.

12. Street

Street Member

Thanks bossman. I'm sort of zeroing in on the needed info here (great resource btw). Obviously I need all the help I can get.

I still have Premiere and After Effects to get on top of today :)

Last edited: May 18, 2002
  13. gdi

gdi Guest

Hey, I am having the problem of the audio starting out of sync and getting progressively worse as the movie goes on. I am not alone either, so if you teach this man to fish, he will teach others.

I have used EasyDivX as well as the DVD->VCD described on AfterDawn.

Thanks for your help.

14. Street

Street Member

gdi,
    I will glady help out once I've got this licked. The first necessary step would be to disassociate the out-of-sync video and audio. I've done that.

I have a value (from various programs) that gives me a bi-rate factor for the original video. What I can logically reason is that I need to tweak the new audio/video integration with a bi-rate factor that compensate for the out-of-syncness. So far I haven't gotten there.

I must say that AfterDawn has supplied me with MORE than enough tools for the job, once I figure it out.

Last edited: May 18, 2002
  15. Street

Street Member

OK here's a very simple solution. I haven't had a chance to investigate it far enough to see if there's a downside but:
    Download AVI2VCD
    http://www.mnsi.net/~jschlic1/

When you unzip that package there will be two exectuables: avi2vcd.exe & decompress.exe. Running decompress on the misbehaving files seems to clear up all my bi-rate problems. You then wind up with a probably bigger .avi file but it's much easier to work with using programs like VirtualDup.

The included AVI2VCD seems to do a pretty good, quick and dirty convert-and-split if your end goal is VCD.

Last edited: May 19, 2002
  16. ebilis

ebilis Member

I have the same problem but I really don't want to convert the avi file to a vcd file. Also, can someone help me clear this, is avi a better quality than vcd? I managed to save the original file in a separate audio wav file and split it. Both split files does not have audio out of sync problems but now the split files is bigger than the original file itself. this I'm sure is because of the wav file that was saved with the avi file when I split it. Can anyone expand on that? Thanks!