1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

virtualdub

Discussion in 'Resource center' started by assripper, Feb 23, 2002.

1. assripper

assripper Member

i have virtual dub and i want to know how to use it , i have a mpeg movie which i want to convert to avi and cut down from 1gig toa size that wil;l fit on one cd, anyone know where i can find such a manual
    ??

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Quality will suck, definately. But basically you load the video using Open file. Select Video>Full processing mode, select Video>Compression, select DivX 4.xx, click configure, set bitrate to something you wish for (appx. 700kbps should fit 1GB MPEG-1 to appx. 650MB DivX), select 2-pass, first pass, click OK. Go to File menu, select Save AVI, check "add to job list", select name like "firstpassofthemovie.avi". Go back to Video>Compression, select DivX again, go to configuration, leave _everything_ as they were, but select 2-pass, second pass and click OK and go to File menu again and select Save AVI and give a name like "secondpassmovie.avi" and check "add to job list". Then go to File menu and go to Job processing and you should see two items in the list. Now just run the job list and wait for X hours and you should have DivX ready.

But re-encoding __ALWAYS__ makes the quality worse, something helluva lot worse (whatever the conversion is, DivX->MPEG-1, MPEG-1->DivX, MPEG-2->MPEG-1, MPEG-2->DivX, etc).