1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VirtualDubMod error message!

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by janlafata, Jan 13, 2009.

1. janlafata

janlafata Regular member

I initially started putting subtitles on video files about a month ago and, at the time, I was downloading quite a few little programs that were recommended to me. Trouble is I can't remember which one I ended up using for subtitles, VirtualDubMod or AVI ReComp.

I started out today with AVI ReComp and it was set on Direct Stream, but right after I clicked on "Open Video file" in the file menu I received an error message that said "Couldn't load decompressor for format 'DX50'unknown. VirtualDub requires a video for Windows (VFW) compatable codec to decompress video.DirectShow Codecs such as those used by Windows Media Player, are not suitable.Only Direct Stream Copy is available for this video.

So after I got that, I aborted and cranked up AVI ReComp. I loaded the video file and the subtitle fine, then I went to Queue and Add to Queue and it did start processing. However when I tried to enable preview before I started the process and after, both times it shut down the program and the project.

2. KajNrig

KajNrig Regular member

You could try re-installing AVIRecomp, if it's an installation program.

I don't understand the second and third parts, though. Did you use AVI Recomp first? Or did you use VDubMod first? You say you used AVI Recomp both times.

Anyway, it might be that you don't have DivX/Xvid installed. Yay? Nay?

If it's still not that, you can always try MeGUI. It's a bit more complicated - it uses Avisynth scripts - but I think it's more reliable than VDM.

3. janlafata

janlafata Regular member

Hi and thanks for responding...It never fails! Right after I get through posting my message, I figured it out. It was AVI AreComp that I used first, though I can't remember if I have tried using VirtualDubMOd for subtitles or not.

Either way, AVI ReComp was prompting me for an update anyway, so I went ahead and reinstalled that and all of the other stuff that goes with it, then I was successfully able to embed my subtitles while watching a preview of it.

This does bring a question I've always had with AVI ReComp though. Do you really need all those other programs that it has you install, like XVID etc.

4. KajNrig

KajNrig Regular member

I'm not sure what the other programs are, but if they're just codecs like Xvid, etc., then they're only necessary if you don't already have them installed. But even then, with the program installing the codecs by itself, it's probably easier for it to communicate with said codecs.