1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Virtualdubmpeg2 to TMPGenc Compresses File

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by pc4ever1, Apr 26, 2005.

1. pc4ever1

pc4ever1 Guest

I'm using the VirtualDub MPEG2 version and want to remove logo's from my MPEG2 files. I use TMPGENC to encode the files that are modified in VirtualDub using the Frame Server function.

However following the tutorials to remove the logo's yielded files that were originally 2.5GB they somehow compressed down to 350MB. Naturally with this unwanted compression I get unwanted visual artifacts etc.

Has anyone used this process to remove the logo's without altering the video quality?

Are there special settings within TMPGenc that need to be set to retain the original video quality? If so, what or where can I find these settings?

Here is the method that I have been using to remove the logo's.

1) Open VirtualDub and load a MPEG2 file.
    2) Open filters and add Delogo and then configure to remove logos.
    3) Then select Video Compression and here is where I select Uncompressed.
    4)Then I open Frameserver
    5) Then I open TmpgEnc to encode the files

As mentioned before the original size was 2.5GB , after doing the above processes the filesize became 350MB. I don't want to compress anything video or audio , all I want to do is remove the logo's.

I have tried other settings such as : select in Audio & Video processing modes..."Direct Stream Copy" or "Full Processing Mode"... Neither option yielded an uncompressed file. By the way when I used Direct Stream Copy it took over 18+ hours.

Another point to mention is that in all cases the audio was synced with the video.

Any help, comments, tutorials etc will be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

What are your settings in tmpgenc?

3. pc4ever1

pc4ever1 Guest

Thanks for taking the time to look at this:

Here are my TMPGEnc settings:

Using TMPGenc 2.5
    Version 2.524.63.181
    Core Version 2.04.169
    (Note TMPGEnc Express Version 3 didn't work with VirtualDub)

MPEG Settings:
    Stream Type: MPEG-2 Video
    Size 720 x 480 pixels
    Aspect 4:3 Display
    Frame Rate: 29.97 bps
    Rate Control: 2 Pass VBR(VBR)
    Profile & Level: Main Profile & Main Level (MP@ML)
    Video Format: NTSC
    Encode Mode: Interlace
    YUV Format: 4:2:0
    DC Component Precision: 10 Bits
    Motion Search Precision: Highest Quality

Advanced Settings:
    These were checked off ( active):
    Ghost Reduction
    Noise Reduction
    Sharpen Edge

GOP Settings:
    Number of I Picture in GOP: 1
    Number of P picture in GOP: 5
    Number of B picture in GOP: 2
    Output Interval of sequence header: 0 GOP
    Checked off:
    Detect Scene Change

Audio Settings:
    Stream Type: MPEG-1 Audio Layer II
    Sampling Frequency: 48000 Hz
    Channle Mode: Stereo
    Bitrate: 192 kbits/sec

System Settings:
    MPEG-2 Program (VBR)

4. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Other than those settings resulting in a 40+ hour encode, they should work perfectly.
    Have you scanned the source for errors?
    Even frameserved, if the avi has video glitches, from a poorly joined file, or obscure outdated version of xvid encode, or even (on bad captures) a mistaken channel change, tmpgenc won't read the file length properly, and thus the aborted/shortened encode.

The only way to remove the logos embedded in video, means re-encoding that video...somehow...whether you frameserve to get a DVD mpeg-2 or resave another avi.
    It's possible the logoaway filter is too slow to frameserve properly, and tmpgenc is just giving up.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2005
  5. pc4ever1

pc4ever1 Guest

I was afraid that would be your answer. "Other than those settings resulting in a 40+ hour encode, they should work perfectly. "

The MPEG2 files are saved from capturing TV shows with Beyond TV. I have used the same exact files to burn DVD's with no problems. But now that I own a plasma TV I'm afraid of screen burnin from those darn TV logo's. So my task is to find a way to get rid of the logo's without a picture/audio quality loss.

I guess I'll try to use VirtualDub again and this time save out as a *.avi file. Then use TMPGEnc Express to edit and convert to MPEG2. Then use TMPGenc DVD Author to burn the DVD.

Is there a more time efficient way to do all of this? It would seem that many others using the delogo filter in VirtualDub would have figured out a quick way to edit these types of files.

Also, would you expect a file size change in VirtualDub converting from MPEG2 to AVI?

Again thanks for taking the time to read and add your input!

6. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Yes, there will be a considerable file size change. Either much larger for uncompressed avi, or smaller, depending on compression codec.