1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

virus attached to DVD

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by bnghty, Jan 17, 2007.

1. bnghty

bnghty Member

I recently bought "Rocky Balboa" and when I tried to copy it with my burner, it had a virus attached I think. Is this possible? Is this the new way people are trying to stop other bootleggers? I was pissed off at first but found it funny that the dvd guy would do that. smart. lol

2. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

One such rootkit is called Settec's Alpha. It's a lot like Sony's XCP rootkit. I'm not aware of an factory-provided removal utility, but try your anti-virus software. I'd return the original. And this is one of the very few instances in which, my personal beliefs are, you have the right to copy the original before doing so. Not that I'm actually advocating it...;)

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=106425

It's not that I'm in favor of illegal copying - I'm often the first around here to advocate against piracy and file-sharing - but when the entertainment industry starts installing hijackers and trojans on innocent people's computers, well, as far as I'm concerned, they've signed their rights away. Your purchase of that movie was a contract. But since they violated your property rights, you have no obligation to uphold your end of the agreement and respect theirs. Furthermore, my personal belief is that one has an ethical obligation to prevent other innocent users from becoming infected by such malware by making the content freely available online. My two pennies.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2007