1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Virus infestation problem

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by Kafka, Jul 29, 2013.

1. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

sympathy will get you nothing...........

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

i know.

3. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Here is a little something from my archives that you may be interested in. As to how you may become infected even though you have an AV and Firewall:

Why use a router? And why is that my No.1 priority for blocking malware?

Do you really need a router when you get a cable or DSL broadband Internet service?
    Do you need a router, even if you only have one computer that you’re connecting?
    My answer is always, “Yes!"

Your cable company might tell you that you only need a router if you’re going to have a home network. Remember that these are the same people that used to tell us that we don’t need a firewall because they had one.

You DO need a router, even if you only have one computer that you’re connecting.
    Think of it this way. Do you need a lock on your front door?

So, what’s the big protection if you’re already running a software firewall? The importance is that you simply are not accessible.

A Firewall will block the windows (ports) but not the front door (usually port 80) that connects you to the internet. The router functions to lock the Internet away from your computer. If your computer asks for something from the Internet, it asks the router. The router asks the IP address on the Internet. The server at the other end can respond, and the router will know to which computer to route the response. But, no computer on the Internet side can INITIATE communications with your computer. In order to receive something you must request it.

With a router your computer will not have an IP address on the Internet. Its address would be on the local home network (even if that network is nothing but one router and one computer). The WAN port of the router is the only thing that has exposure to the Internet.

Some of the Windows flaws have been such that Windows itself would be subverted before a firewall program ever had a chance to block an incoming connection. With a router, we prevent that incoming connection…

Check it out: [​IMG]
    This hacker is looking at you from the internet side. Can he see your real IP address?

To find out:

Here's How: on Win 8
    Swipe up from the bottom of the Start screen and then touch the All apps icon. If you have a mouse, right-click anywhere on the Start screen and then click on All apps.

Note: If you're using a keyboard with Windows 8, you can open Command Prompt via its shortcut on the Power User Menu, which you can access by pressing the Windows key and X keys together.

Now that you're on the Apps screen, swipe or scroll to the right and locate the Windows System section heading.
    Under Windows System, press or click on Command Prompt.

A new Command Prompt window will open on the Desktop.
    You can now enter the command ipconfig and press <enter> to run.

[​IMG]
    The IPv4 Address is your Real IP address. Is it the same as the Hacker is showing in his sign? If it is, that’s the address that a Hacker can use to infect your computer. So, yes, you need a router. It’s a security issue.

p.s. You can also go to http://whatismyipaddress.com/ and see what the internet sees as your IP address...

I will be happy to answer any questions.
    Good L.U.C.K. = Laboring Under Correct Knowledge.

2oG

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  4. Kafka

Kafka Regular member

Thanks again! I removed Classic Shell but couldn't find DeviceIO, perhaps I have already removed it.

Re you advice concerning routers. I will look into them from my end. Are they easy to install? By that I mean do they plug into the modem and then the computer with no further action required?

5. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Very easy. Plug in between Modem and computer. Most come with a cd to set them up.
    You have to set a couple of things and change the admin password they come with.
    I'll give you more info and a few suggestions.. later

6. Kafka

Kafka Regular member

I bought a NetComm liberty Series 3G Wireless N150 Router this afternoon. I have already run into trouble installing it. I don't have a 3GB USB modem, just a plain old cable modem, so I have connected the ethernet cable from the computer to a LAN port on the back of the router then connected the modem to the router (the WAN port).I've followed NetComm's instructions for non 3G connections which are:

On your computer, open a web browse and type in 192.168.20.1 into the address bar.

At the login screen type admin into both the username and password fields, then click submit

Mouseover Internet Settings and click on WAN

Select your WAN connection type (???) from the drop box

Enter the relevant information in this screen as supplied by your ISP

Click on apply to save the settings and wait 2 minutes

The internet connection status can be determined by clicking on Status from the menu after logging in to the 3G17Wn

I rang my ISP to find out what the WAN connection type and the DHCP Hostname were but they were most unhelpful, suggesting I ring NetComm. I's late now but I'll phone NetComm in the morning, unless you have any advice.

7. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

I guess I’m just getting old. I hadn’t picked up on you being down under. Lol
    NetComm is Australian and I am unfamiliar with them….

Most routers have Admin as default user and password. All hackers know this so you must change to a strong password and keep it somewhere where you don’t forget it so you don’t have to clear it and start over..

You can turn the wireless off if you don’t need it or give it a unique code for wireless access so not just everyone can use it.

I have no better advice than that since I know so little about NetComm and would have to do much research on it…
    The last time I set one up with my ISP they took care of the DHCP and WAN I didn't have to do anything.. I hope it has WPA2 and a SPI Firewall for security...

2oG

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  8. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

The type of WAN i think you'll find is this:

WAN connection would be your isp & the internet in general is what i understand so the following should apply as it's no different from mine or 2olds as we're not attempting connection directly to other specific computers in other areas locally or internationally

Internet settings > WAN
    WAN Type: DHCP (Auto config)
    Hostname: blank
    Enabled: Enable
    MAC Adress: We clicked on the Default button and it entered an address.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1474953

edit:
    you should be able to disable the wireless from within the router settings if your not using wireless

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  9. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Yeah, scorp WAN is the internet (Wide Area Network) LAN is your network (Local Area Network)

More Echos? HELLO Hello hello.... LOL

I have Wireless and 8 computers in my household connected. 3 wireless and 5 wired.

10. Kafka

Kafka Regular member

Yes, I am from Sydney, Australia. I guess that from my accent you might have thought I was from Boston (I inherited my English father's posh voice to some extent).

I have been trying to install my router. The last time I wrote I had got to the point where I was supposed to enter info in a screen. Because I couldn't get access to the internet while connected to the router I removed all the cables so that I was once again connected solely by the modem. This morning I started from scratch, pluging in the cables as per the router's instructions. I now find that the ethernet connection between the modem and the WAN socket of the router is not working (the ethernet light on the modem is not illuminated and neither is the WAN light on the modem. Perhaps my ancient ethernet cable is defunct?

11. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

It wasn't your accent that got you it was the time differential.. LOL
    Hell I thought you were in Oklahoma.. :)

I really don't have any advice because I can't see or feel anything that far off.
    Were you able to talk to NetComm?
    You won't get a light on the ethernet port until the router is connected to the modem..
    I guess it could be the cable but hook it all up as it should go and try the internet. It should connect to your ISP and set up most of it auto. The screen part is just to set up passwords and security.

Where is ddp when you need him? He works with those things, I think...

2oG

12. ddp

i'm here as was doing some photo editing for a friend.

Kafka, turn off the computer, the router& the modem. disconnect coax cable or dsl cable from modem. connect the ethernet cable from the computer to the lan port of the router. connect another ethernet cable from the router's wan port to the ethernet port of the modem. reconnect the modem & router's power cables. reconnect the coax cable or dsl cable to the modem. restart the computer. might have to wait a couple of minutes til both the modem & router finish their diagnostics before you are connected.

13. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

I knew you could do it.. I'm on cable and all ports are marked different.. [​IMG]

14. ddp

i was on cable too til i changed over to dsl. i have a combo modem\router from bell that is also wireless.

15. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

I have Suddenlink High speed cable, their modem and a linksys wireless.. works great. Was on dsl before and this is soooo much better.

16. ddp

when i was on cable i was with rogers with their lite speed which was 2nd from the bottom of their 5 internet speeds. was doing about 350 to 450kb download & 20gig cap. when switched to bell for same price as rogers, doing about 1meg download & 100gig cap.

17. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

If i'm reading it correctly you have worse speed than we do ddp & your on cable.At the moment i'm on adsl 2,avergae speed for a download is 300kbps using a browser & depending on the web site it can go up or down 200.
    Using utorrent it can only get as high as 1.2mbps which is what your getting now ????,if i was closer to an exchange it would be even faster some apparently get 5mbps on Adsl 2 unless that's 1 mega byte your on,makes me wonder what so called ultra fast broad band is like or whatever that's supposed to mean,it's being rolled out across the country as we speak,however we have long way to go to catchup to the asian block countries

our speeds are directly related to distance from exchange,so prices are flat rate across the board & i assume are based on data requirement includes landline monthly charge for normal phone calls
    nz bb packges for adsl 2
    http://www.telecom.co.nz/packages/

edit: i have the 500gb cap,i need it i can use that up in less than a week *sheepish grin*

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  18. aldan

aldan Active member

yeah,does seem slow.im on shaw cable and we get 50 Mbs.down and 3Mbs.up.its their lowest speed broadband.

19. Kafka

Kafka Regular member

I was about to contact NetComm when I thought I would try one more thing. My modem has four Ethernet ports. Up to now I had attempted to connect to the router using two of them to the router. After following ddp's advice I plugged the cable into a third port and all the relevant lights lit up! What excitement. I can now access the internet via the router. My next step is to set up the security (firewall) as I can still see my ip address via 2oldGeek's link.

A couple of hours later: I have been following the manual but still haven't managed to conceal my IP address. The manual seems to assume that I know what it's talking about. For example, under Firewall which , I am told, allows me to setup MAC, IP and port filtering rules I am give two settings under Basic Settings 1) MAC/IP/Port Filtering (Enable/Disable) and 2) Default Policy (Dropped/Accepted. There are even more choices under MAC/IP/Port Filtering Settings. Unfortunately I don't know which option to select.

I have encountered the same general problem with Security. Is there a website you can recommend which gives me some clues as to how to set it all up?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  20. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Kafka,

Google " how to configure a netcomm router " and just start down the list...