1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Virus infestation problem

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by Kafka, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Kafka

Kafka Regular member

Yes it is. I am wondering whether I deleted something during the big clean up that I shouldn't have. I tried unplugging the external drive and rebooting then plugging it in again but no luck. I might try that again later.

2. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Do you know how to open the device manager and see maybe you have lost a driver?

3. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Also try another USB port. and if you have something like a thumb drive plug it in and see if it recognizes it..

4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

check computer management to see if drive letter is assigned & could also be usb cable or it could be the usb housing of the external

while in device manager left click on any of the items in the device list then in the menu bar at top left click action & scan for hardware changes while external is still connected,sometimes it can take a while for auto detection forcing a scan can speed things up a bit

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  5. Kafka

Kafka Regular member

I checked Computer Management and no drive letter was assigned. I plugged a thumbdrive in and it was recognized. I then went into Device Manager. I then did some other stuff (I can't remember what) and was told that there was a problem with Multiport Communications Port (COM3)"This device isn't using any resources because it has a problem". I ran the troubleshooter which informed me that:

This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use (Code 12).
    If you want to use this device you will have to disable one of the other devices on this system.

I am assuming that this all relates to the problem with the external drive.

6. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

I bet ddp knows cause he works on computers.. I build computers and don't do a lot of trouble shooting BUT, the last time I had problems with not recognizing a device and it gave me the (Code 12) I had to disconnect power, pull the battery, wait a couple of minutes to clear the CMOS. Replace battery and power cord then boot up in Bios and set to Optimized Defaults... That took care of it for me...

Where are you ddp? What you think?

2oG

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

8. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Yeah, you're probably right. Those usb's are different but I didn't understand the not enuff resources thingy and thought that might just clear it up.

9. ddp

Kafka, is your mouse usb or hopefully ps2?

2oldGeek, according to thjat link i posted, it might be a conflict with 2 devices which is why asking about his mouse because if ps2 then have him uninstall all usb ports, restart windows so can find new hardware & load it's drivers before connecting external hard drive.

10. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

ddp, That sounds feasible and might be it.. I can't remember just what the problem was that I had. Seems like it was a video card and something?? Or maybe the usb drive just went tits up..

11. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

like you said, need to check out that drive on another computer before disassembling everything else :)

12. Kafka

Kafka Regular member

I'm afraid my mouse is USB. Actually it's a wireless mouse with the remote (?) plugged into the USB port on my Lenovo keyboard. Incidentally I got the message somewhere along the line that there was a conflict between two devices, though it didn't tell me which two.

13. ddp

check in device manager for any yellow exclamation marks. can you borrow a ps2 mouse & doesn't have to be optical either as can be a ball mouse.

14. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Kafka, do you have a touch pad on that keyboard? If so, unplug the usb mouse and reboot to see if it finds the usb drive.

15. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Kafka, I guess you are very confused at this point. I think both ddp and I were on the wrong wavelinks. I said to disconnect the battery but I was talking about a desk top motherboard battery and you have a laptop.. my bad! ddp said to get a ps2 mouse and laptops don't have ps2 ports..

I'm pretty sure you have a mouse touch pad on that laptop so unplug your usb mouse and your usb drive, turn off the laptop and then restart it without any usb devices connected. after it boots up on the internet hopefully it will download any drivers that may be missing..
    Then plug in your drive and see if the computer finds it.. if it does then plug in your mouse and check it out.. if it can't find the drive then try plugging it into another computer to see if it works there.. if it works on another computer and not on yours, you will need to go to the device manager and look for missing drivers to be downloaded from there.. if it don't work on another computer - it's probably dead..

I'll be up a little longer but will crash soon.. so let me know if you come up with anything.. hopefully you will.

Good Luck
    2oG

16. ddp

didn't realize it was a laptop not a desktop. glide-point should work in place of mouse for this experiment unless it is the glide-point causing the conflict that only time will tell.

2oldGeek, some older laptops do have ps2 ports but not ones for win8.

17. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Yeah, me too.... had a desktop on my mind and couldn't shake it... Like I always say "at my age, everything either dries up or leaks!" LOL

18. Kafka

Kafka Regular member

I've got a desktop, not a laptop and I don't have a touchpad. I'll have to look around for a PS2 mouse. What are doing crashing at 2pm, 2oldGeek? The afternoon is young here in Oklahoma.

19. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Dam, the only thing I got right was that you're an Ausey with a Yankee accent - [​IMG]

20. ddp

it is 12.22am est here in southern ontartio, canada.