1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Virus risk?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by luddite, Nov 5, 2004.

1. luddite

luddite Member

I've watched some copied DVDs (I think DVD-Rs) on my computer (I don't know what ripping software was used to make them) and now I'm told I've given someone a virus through JPEG files transferred from my computer via a USB memory stick. Whilst I'm a bit sceptical about this, I'd like to find out if anyone had any experiences of viruses as a result of watching ripped DVDs or using DVD-ripping software.Thanks!

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

you can get a virus thru any media transfer: net, cd/dvd, email, sites like microsoft(personal experience). always check system for viruses before burning or copying files/programs for other people. again personal experience - a co-worker accused me of giving him a virus in front of bunch of co-workers, checked my system that night was clean & told him so next day

3. MysticE

MysticE Active member

I don't think watching copied DVD'd has anything to do with it.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

it would if virus was on copied dvd, why do you think that you can scan for viruses on cd/dvd disks thru your antivirus program. its been know to happen in companies that manufacture cd/dvd games/data, why not on personal level