1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Viruses - Freeprod - Downloader Generic JVE

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by samuraicb, Jan 5, 2006.

1. samuraicb

samuraicb Member

My friends antivirus has been out of date for a long while (he never saw the need for it as he wasnt connected to the internet)

A few days ago he had the net put in... so i cancelled his antivirus for him and installed AVG Free instead

Now avg picks up a trojan downloader generic XXX (where XXX represents random letters)

If you click heal - it says the object was sucessfully healed - then it says virus detected again

If you click delete file - it says the object was sucessfully healed - then it says virus detected again (on exactly same file)

Meanwhile, every now and again he gets a freeprod.com popup "your content is loading - downloading"

I followed some steps i found on the internet to remove freeprod, then
    - i ran AdAware
    - i ran spybot
    - i ran an avg full scan - and removed infected files
    - cleared the prefetch folder

His computer runs XP SP1 - i tried installing SP2 (it froze)

After all this the freeprod stuff stopped and everything seemed to be working fine.

But now (hours later) the AVG Virus detected - Trojan downloader Generic XXX pops up and stays on the screen almost constantly

I cant delete or heal the file so i would appreciate any help trying to get rid of it!

Looks at the minute as though he will have to format his HDD

Please Help
    Regards

2. ozzy214

ozzy214 Regular member

Try running a boot time scan and delete. If the proggy yeah have dont then www.avast.com free antivirus scanner does do boot time scans. Boot time is better cause the virus is still asleep essentially and can be deleted easier when windows aint loaded. Also look on avast site...they also have a small file that is just a free virus scan and nothing more.:>

3. munx

munx Regular member

go to run msconfig and look at startup see what programs boot up.
    go to regedit and current user or local machine and check the run folder or run once.

disable everything and boot up in safe mode. turn OFF system restore and try to remove the virus/spyware. it hsould work. if not download a trial version of a non free antivirus
    pc cillin 2006 or something. do the above steps and repeat. last resort

FORMAT C:/

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

5. samuraicb

samuraicb Member

Thanks for the help... i will try it... his hardrive was clogged up anyway so he might just ask me to reformat.

i was advised by someone else to try doing a sys restore in safe mode but i dnt know whether this will be wise

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

can't hurt