1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vista-64 Ultimate & DVD Next Copy

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by Tootin, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Tootin

Tootin Member

I've had a number of issues getting this installed on my recently purchased Vista-64 Ultimate OS. I had a previous version of DVDNExtCopy and thought that the version I originally purchased was dated and didn't have the proper code for Vista. After 4 weeks of mindless technical support with the company, I was no further ahead. Two months after that, I calmed down enough to give it another try and I then decided to purchase another copy of DVD next copy, thinking that the updated version would fix my issue; no such luck.

When I try to install, it seems to go through the install process and at the very end I get a Microsoft pop-up window that states: "DVDNextCopy Main Client has Stopped Working". At this point everything disappears and I'm back at square one. This is the same issue that I have installing an earlier version. For the record, my latest version is 2.5.8.2

Any suggestions?

2. ireland

ireland Active member

does this say vista x64
    as it does not support vista x64

from there own web site..

DVD neXt COPY Recommended System Requirements

Win XP, Win X64, Win VISTA
    Win 2000, or XP

my advice for you is get clonedvd and anydvd those are supported for vista 64

anydvd
    System Requirements

* IBM-compatible PC with a minimum 500 MHz Pentium-class microprocessor and 64 MB RAM
    * Windows 98/98SE/ME/2000/XP/XP64/VISTA/VISTA64
    * 2 MB hard-disk space

clonedvd
    System Requirements

* An IBM-compatible personal computer with a minimum 500 MHz Pentium-class microprocessor (1 GHz recommended) and 128 MB RAM (256 MB recommended)
    * Windows 98/98SE/ME/2000/XP/XP64/VISTA/VISTA64
    * If you use Windows NT, Windows 2000 or Windows XP you must be an administrator to install CloneDVD 2
    * DVD reader and preferably a DVD writer
    * About 5 GB of temporary available hard-drive space is necessary to clone DVDs

link for download
    http://www.slysoft.com/en/download.html

3. Tootin

Tootin Member

I took your advice and downloaded DVDClone Trial. So far so good.

For the record, although the website may not specify, the DVDNextCopy Technical Support dude did tell me that they support Vista-64.

Whatever - they snooze, they lose. So far Clone DVD seems good; they even convert for iPods.

Thanks

4. ireland

ireland Active member

i should know if theres support for vista x64 as i was there first beta tester..i did have a lot of complaints of there program not working on vistax64.....

a ton of us use clonedvd and anydvd

there web site if ye need help
    http://forum.slysoft.com/index.php

cheers

5. Tootin

Tootin Member

From the horse:

"We are receiving reports of some difficulties with 64-bit. Our technicians are working on it however, it might be two or three weeks before they have it resolved. I can give you a refund now, or you can check back with us in two or three weeks to see if we have solved the 64-bit problem.

Please let me know your desires.

Best regards,
    Support "

6. Tootin

Tootin Member

ONe more thing...

With DVDClone, when converting from DVD to MP4, does it take hours (like it is with me right now) or is this a side effect of the trial version?

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved to correct forum

8. zebadee

zebadee Regular member

Hi ;-)
    Tootin if you mean CloneDVD2 then no it shouldn't take that long.
    Have you checked your DMA setting.

BTW the latest DNC is 2.7.4.2.

9. ireland

ireland Active member

MY ADVICE IS TO GO BACK TO XP OR WIN-2000,AS (WINDOWS ME-2 VISTA) IS CRAP...

checking DMA
    http://webpages.charter.net/bacitup/TheGuides/checking DMA.pdf

NOTE IT CAN SAY DMA MODE BUT CAN BE IN PIO MODE

After the Windows IDE/ATAPI Port driver (Atapi.sys) receives a cumulative total of six time-out or cyclical redundancy check (CRC) errors, the driver reduces the communications speed (the transfer mode) from the highest Direct Memory Access (DMA) mode to lower DMA modes in steps. If the driver continues to receive time-out or CRC errors, the driver eventually reduces the transfer mode to the slowest mode (PIO mode)..

--
    What is DMA mode?
    DMA (Direct memory access) mode is a high performance mode for transferring data to and from devices, in particular, to CD and DVD burner devices.
    The burner devices can function in either DMA or PIO modes. DMA mode allows the processor to transfer large pieces of data with very little software overhead - therefore requiring low CPU utilization. In this mode, high speed burning can be performed in background with other programs running.
    PIO mode requires CPU processing for every few bytes sent to the device, so that CPU utilization becomes very high when trying to burn at high speeds.

WORKAROUND
    To re-enable the typical, or faster, transfer mode for an affected device:
    1. Double-click Administrative Tools, and then click Computer Management.
    2. Click System Tools, and then click Device Manager.
    3. Expand the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers node.
    4. Double-click the controller for which you want to restore the typical DMA transfer mode.
    5. Click the Driver tab.
    6. Click Uninstall.
    7. When the process completes, restart your computer. When Windows restarts, the hard disk controller is re-enumerated and the transfer mode is reset to the default value for each device that is connected to the controller.

link to info
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817472

FOR VISTA

You must be logged on as an administrator to perform these steps.

Direct memory access (DMA) is usually turned on by default for devices such as hard disks and CD or DVD drives that support DMA. However, you might need to turn on DMA manually if the device was improperly installed or if a system error occurred.

Open Device Manager by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Device Manager.‌ Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

In the left pane, click the plus sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers to expand it.

For each icon that has the word Channel as part of its label, right-click the icon, and then click Properties.

Click the Advanced Settings tab, and then, under Device Properties, select or clear the Enable DMA check box.

Click OK.

LINK FOR INFO
    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/a33a9d88-7883-44d2-a7c8-55d3f320c7db1033.mspx

Last edited: Jun 12, 2007
  10. arniebear

arniebear Active member

Thanks Ireland for the jog, this old dog should know better. My burner on my new Dell laptop is snailing along, bet the DMA is off, did not think about it since I never had this problem with XP. Ah, the joys of Vista, pooh.