1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VISTA BETA TESTERS

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Robspace1, Aug 30, 2006.

1. Robspace1

Robspace1 Guest

Hey-lookie-lookie-sumpin fer nutin!-to the first 10'000 people to download it' then it will stop-be the first one on the block to run the new os and crash and burn!--just kidding -it is free and it is big!-2.5 gigs and the iso needs to be converted/burned to dvd-I'm loading it now, this thing must be a monster-very slow loading-may be done by Friday-

2. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

Unfortunately if some one goes to the Microsoft website they will see this message:
    Thank you for your interest in Windows Vista. The Customer Preview Program is now closed. We have reached our program capacity and no new orders are being accepted. We apologize for any inconvenience.

3. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

have you read anything about vista? well if you did you would not be instaling it, well you will find out the hard way. good luck you'l need it

4. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

what does this have to do with dvd shrink?

5. cartjunky

cartjunky Member

Ditto

6. Robspace1

Robspace1 Guest

The download was avavilable lst night-I have it on dvd now-I must have been one of the last in line to get it-sorry-; but when I posted that; it was available-if ya want a copy; tell me where to send it-

7. boykiller

boykiller Regular member

what is vista.
    is it a game

8. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Requesting this thread be moved to an appropriate forum.

9. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved

boykiller, vista is the new windows to replace xp.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2006
  10. ireland

ireland Active member

WINDOWS VISTA (free): Download the Windows Vista pre-RC1 ISO file. Microsoft will close the program when it reaches 100,000 downloads

WINDOWS VISTA..........Download the Windows Vista pre-RC1 ISO file. This pre-RC1 build is available for a limited time – Microsoft will close the program when it reaches 100,000 downloads. MS instructs you, "After downloading, please install and test the build as soon as possible. Most importantly, if there is a crash, hang, or error – please make sure that you send the information back to us using the built-in Windows Error Reporting technology (a dialog box will display automatically). Sending this information is essential to helping us improve the overall quality of Windows Vista – and collecting this information is the primary purpose of distributing this pre-RC1 release" Note--although the page doesn't say so, if MS is true to form, this will be a time limited version. 2 GB download. FURTHER INFORMATION, Tech Report is saying that "The download is actually open to anyone, but as Microsoft explains in its invitation, a valid Beta 2 CPP product ID is required to complete the installation process.".....(free).....GO THERE!

http://download.windowsvista.com/preview/prerc1/en/download.html

11. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Fast as lightning ddp...keep up the good work.

12. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

was just going thru the forums list when i saw this in the shrink forum so i moved it than saw your offensive post & dealt with it.

13. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

14. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

I wouldn't want it if they gave me money to test it for them.
    Sure, it looks nice, but with the impending DRM fest it will be one hell of a useless hunk of junk..
    And anyone that makes backups and rips cd's/dvd's, who says vista will be great, IS OUT OF HIS/HER BLOODY MIND.
    Sorry fer the shouting, but people need to stop being so enthusiastic over that badly coded hunk of junk, and see the possible problems it will create.

15. ireland

ireland Active member

MICROSOFT LOVE YOU,NOT

New content protection on the horizon with Microsoft Vista
    Posted by Dan Bell on 30 August 2005 - 18:54 - Source: ZDNet

ZDNet has put up an article that says Microsoft is going to prove that the PC is a very safe platform for copyrighted content. All it's going to take is for everyone and their brother to purchase their latest and greatest effort "Vista" when it hits the shelves in a couple years. The story goes into a little detail of how the new operating system could differ from XP. I say "could" because the OS is in beta stages now and anything can change. They may want to soothe content providers, that's for sure, but we all know who butters Redmonds bread- the consumer. So if you make too strict a platform you will lose to other OS'es. This is a double whammy for MS as the other cash cow they have is MS Office and they darn sure don't want people getting used to Linux and Open Office.

How does this work?
    One of the biggest changes in Vista is a technology called "Protected Video Path." This will essentially keep video streams encrypted and inaccessible as video is being sent from a DVD (or other copy-protected source) to the monitor, TV or other display. The operating system will also check what the computer is connected to (a monitor, a TV, and so on), do another check to make sure the device really is what it says it is, and then see what kind of plug, or output mechanism, is being used to connect the computer to the device.

Vista will go much further than previous operating systems in checking devices that are several steps downstream, if several digital components are connected to each other. If it finds that there is a device that doesn't respect DRM rules, or if it finds a plug that doesn't support transmission of those copy-protection rules, it might not let the video be sent through that output at all.

Boy, that sounds lovely! I can't wait to pull out my wallet for such an awesome protection for the entertainment industry! Goodness knows they can't fend for themselves with only billions in profits each quarter to pay for their flamboyant lifestyles. It's up to us to fund such endeavors against piracy by purchasing a new operating system. I can see folks calling tech support due to a piece of hardware that discontinues to work, only to find out it's not the hardware, but rather a "feature" of their spanking new OS!

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/12328

cheers on vista..my arse!!!!!!!

16. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

ireland, have i told ye lately that i love ye ? ;-)

17. ireland

ireland Active member

more love from microsoft

New Windows OS includes copy protection

29/11/2005

The upcoming Vista version of the Windows operating system will not allow illegal copies of music and film.

The Windows XP successor will include extensive copy protection mechanisms, according to the Munich-based magazine Windows Professionell.

This includes "Protected Video Path - Output Protection Management" (PVP-OPM), intended to prevent copies from being stored on the hard drive or the contents of the RAM from being read out.

PVP-OPM also monitors how content is used by controlling monitor outputs like TV ports. The "Protected User Mode Audio" (PUMA) will also prevent the illegal copying of music. Microsoft declined to comment for this article. (dpa)
    http://www.financialmirror.com/more_news.php?id=2579

18. ireland

ireland Active member

much greater love from microsoft,now they want to kiss ye!!!!!

Vista next-gen DVD shocker

Steve Riley

p2pnet.net News:- Thirty-two-bit versions of Microsoft's Windows Vista won't play back "next generation high definition protected content” (studio-released BluRay and HD-DVD movies), says a "surprising disclosure".

And it's all down DRM (digital rights restriction).

The news came during a a presentation on Windows Vista security at Tech.Ed 2006 in Sydney, Australia, says APC Magazine, pointing out, "By far the majority of PCs use 32-bit processors, because despite AMD’s efforts to push 64-bit CPUs into the marketplace early, Intel’s first widely-promoted 64-bit CPU is the just-released Core 2 Duo."

Now, "PC users will now have to choose between a PC that can play high definition content (64 bit) versus one that can potentially run older devices that only have unsigned drivers available (32 bit)," says the story.

According to senior program manager Steve Riley, there are, "just too many ways right now for unsigned kernel mode code [to compromise content protection]," says APC Magazine, which also has Riley saying, "The media companies asked us to do this and said they don’t want any of their high definition content to play in x32 at all, because of all of the unsigned malware that runs in kernel mode can get around content protection".

go here to read the article
    (Tuesday 29th August 2006)
    http://p2pnet.net/story/9714?PHPSESSID=5d64a5baed42fae937103f64b46ef7c4

the final kiss,

Vista prices revealed!
    Posted by Ed Bott @ 8:05 am
    Digg This!

It looks like Microsoft has accidentally leaked some details of the price of its next-generation operating system. At least for customers who live in the Great Frozen North.

The Retail Pricing page at Microsoft Canada lets you choose a product name from a dropdown list and see the current pricing. Surprise! It includes a slew of SKUs for Windows Vista. (Update 28-Aug 8:00AM PDT: Well, that was fast! The Canadian price list I viewed earlier this morning appears to have been taken down, probably to remove the Vista SKUs. That makes the information even more interesting. Oh, and be sure to see my note at the end of this post on the pitfalls of using currency conversions to compare prices in different markets.) The following prices are all in Canadian dollars, and for comparison's sake I've included the retail prices of current versions of Windows XP:

FULL versions (all prices Canadian)

Windows Vista Ultimate $499

Windows XP Professional w/SP2 $429

Windows Vista Business $379

Windows Vista Home Premium $299

Windows Vista Home Basic $259

Windows XP Home w/SP2 $259

UPGRADE versions (all prices Canadian)

Windows Vista Ultimate Upgrade $299

Windows XP Professional w/SP2 Upgrade $259

Windows Vista Business Upgrade $249

Windows Vista Home Premium Upgrade $199

Windows Vista Home Basic Upgrade $129

Windows XP Home w/SP2 Upgrade $129

In Canada, at least, the rumors of a "modest" price increase were true, based on this list. Will these same relative prices hold true in the U.S.? Who knows? But if they do, then it's mostly good news for Windows customers. There's no price increase for Home Basic. Home Premium, the Vista version that maps most closely to the OEM-only Windows XP Media Center Edition, will finally be available as a retail product for a slight bump over the Home Basic product, similar to the $39 premium typically charged by large OEMs for Media Center upgrades. And Vista Business buyers will get a break with a small discount relative to XP Professional.

Based on current U.S. prices (which I wrote about last week), I would expect Windows Vista to sell in the U.S. for the following prices (full/upgrade):

Windows Vista Ultimate $349/$199

Windows Vista Business $269/179

Windows Vista Home Premium $239/$139

Windows Vista Home Basic $199/$99

Of course, these are guesses only. Some discounts will probably be available in the retail channel. OEM prices will, of course, be significantly lower. And I expect Microsoft to offer some enticing promotions when Windows Vista ships to encourage early adoption.

Update 8:55AM PDT: I notice some folks discussing this issue elsewhere are making a common mistake and simply converting the Canadian prices into U.S. dollars at current exchange rates. The two markets don't work that way. You'll get a much more accurate picture by doing what I've done here, which is to compare the relative prices of the new Vista versions to current XP versions and then make similar adjustments to the U.S. price list. You can do the same with other countries as well.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=124

Last edited: Aug 30, 2006
  19. Robspace1

Robspace1 Guest

All things good to know about this-I finished the DL and have it on disk-I just ran the disk and it has a device and software compatability program to determine if your pc is" Vista ready-"this is a nice safety catch before loading this os-glad I ran it-it said I needed to" replace my IDE Controller" and that" Vista drivers may not exist for the pcoufin device for 32 bit system-made by VSO-"-it says I need to upgrade 6 different drivers!-which is curious as I did that last week!-The VSO is less then 30 days old-Seems strange that it runs fine in XP but Vista will not recognize it-It does begin to sound as if Uncle Bill has moved into the protection business-We share the same state; so now I;m nervous!-If anyone wants a copy of a Vist Compatability Report-let me know-Big Brothers out there!

20. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

Amazon.com has posted pre-order prices for Windows Vista that also claim the new operating system will be available on Jan. 30, 2007. Tuesday, the e-tailer confirmed that it got the prices from Microsoft Corp. price sheets, but said that the delivery date was its own estimate "based on conversations with both Microsoft and others."

Windows Vista Home Basic: $99.95 (upgrade), $199 (full version) -- Windows Vista Home Premium: $159 (upgrade), $239 (full version) -- Windows Vista Business: $199 (upgrade), $299 (full version) -- Windows Vista Ultimate: $259 (upgrade), $399 (full version)

http://www.techweb.com/wire/software/192500089