1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vista booting problem

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by klunk, Feb 11, 2008.

1. klunk

klunk Member

hi folks

i have a copy of vista ultimate and a friend asked me to install it on his new ACER 5315 laptop running vista home basic, i installed the new OS on top of the home basic as an upgrade and when it finished it started up i logged in and then it just logged off and shut it self down ? so i restarted the laptop and it could not find the SET-Root-boot mngr/ntldrso i restarted the laptop and same thing again so i installed the vista ultimate on a new partion and it's running fine but i don't want 2 versions of vista on the laptop. the error code i recieved is 0x3d7bcDoes anyone know what i have done wrong to recieve this code and it is using an 80gb SATA hard drive do i need the sata drivers to correct this problem and get rid of 1 of the OS's

Cheers folks your help in this matter will be greatly welcomed

klunk

2. phill2000

phill2000 Guest

Hi.

I have heard of this is the Vista Ultimate disk uses the Vista Loader 2.12 method. This is a "naughty" version that has been given to you, and is known for wrecking system / boot files on either upgraded, or dual boot Vista installations.

If in the error screen is similar to below then you have issues.

Code:
    Booting 'Windows Vista
    'acpi
    Vista Loader 2.1.2
    Done!
    fallback 1
    find --set-root /bootmgr
    Error 17: File not found
    Booting 'Windows NT/200/XP'
    fallback 2
    find --set-root /ntldr
    Error 17: file not found
    Booting 'Enter Command Line'
    Boot failed!
    Press any key to enter command line.
    As far as I know there is no way to recover this. I would recommend backing up all his stuff from the drive that wont boot, then erase both partitions before starting from scratch.

If he decides not to take such drastic action now and waits, then if I hear of any solution I will let you know.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved to correct forum as not a pc hardware issue

4. klunk

klunk Member

hi

thank you for the advise, you are right that was the exact error code that i was getting when upgrading, i have now wiped the hard clean of both os's and installed that naughty version you say i have and it is working fine i now have to install the drivers back onto system for the graphs card and some other stuff i'll let you know if i have any problems. is there anywhere i can get a good copy of vista that won't corrupt boot files?

cheers

klunk

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

that is piracy which is not condoned on this site.