1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vista drivers for Asus MOBO - Also, Dell OS on non Dell PC

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Navi89, May 4, 2007.

1. Navi89

Navi89 Member

So I finally decided to jump in bed with vista. I'm using a asus P5N32-SLI Deluxe. I tried to install the drivers from the disc I got with my MOBO but could not cause it said the drivers on the disc were for XP. So I went to the asus website to search for vista drivers, but couldn't find any. Are there drivers available for my MOBO? My computer currently can not produce sound due to the lack of a sound driver. This is a problem for me cause this means no games, no music, no watching the news on the net, I can't do anything that requires sound. Is there a solution? Also, why is it that I did not have to install a network driver to get online? When I installed vista and booted for the 1st time I already had my network driver installed. Whats up with that? Did vista automatically install my network driver? Why didn't it install my chipset or audio driver?

One more thing, I used a Dell disc to install vista on a non Dell computer, is there going to be any complications because of this? When I installed vista it didn't ask for a key, it just installed without one. When I go to my control panel it says 3 days untill automatic activation. Shouldn't it be 30 days? When I click on activate now and enter the key on the back on the sleeve that the disc came in it tells me the key is invalid. When I try to enter the windows key on the sticker thats on the laptop I bought it tells me the key is invalid. So I have tried both the key on the cd sleeve and the key on the laptop but it says both is invalid. Are we unable to install a Dell branded OS on a non Dell computer? I thought this wasn't the case, I thought what mattered is that you have a genuine key, which I do. So why am I having issues?

Thank you.

2. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Jumping into bed with Vista, is like making love to a cheese grater. Interesting concept...fatal if taken seriously!

Anywho....

Vista, like all the other OSes (with the exception of the touted 30,000 drivers it supposedly comes with) installs generic drivers for your chipset, video..and sound. Sound ONLY if it detects the more generic sound devices. Sound cards like Creative, or the better onboard chips that support 5.1 to 7.1 audio aren't likely going to have a driver that works for it. Your network cards will more than likely have a driver with Vista that works out of the box. But, it's better to find the main drivers for those as well.

But....if it works with Vista, DONT CHANGE IT!! Some of the Vista "capable" drivers out there do more harm installing then leaving the defaults running.

As for your chipset, video, sound or NIC...get them from the chip's vendor. Most mobo sites won't update their downloads until drivers have been released from the vendor.

Vista won't activate until you put in a key. It installs without one. Activation can be set indefinitely by a registry tweak. (google it, or look here)
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/504555

Dell could have easily set up the Vista installation DVD to only install on a Dell system with the key they provided you. You'll need a different key for your other system.

3. Navi89

Navi89 Member

Regarding... As for your chipset, video, sound or NIC...get them from the chip's vendor.

I'm a newb and I'm not sure I understand this. Who is my chips vendor? Are you talking about asus? Or nvidia? I already installed my video driver, it's my audio I need help with. I already checked asus for the audio driver and they don't have it? Is it non exsistant? How and where do I find it?

4. borhan9

borhan9 Active member