1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

vista full or upgrade versions

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by fastfox, Feb 28, 2007.

1. fastfox

fastfox Member

So whats the difference between vista premium and vista premium upgrade and if i get the cheaper upgrade version what am i upgrading from? Does this mean i can upgrade from xp or vista basic? If so, if i ever have to reformat my pc will i have to install xp first then reinstall vista???

2. ofolion

ofolion Regular member

I believe the upgrade installs over xp, which you don't have to format to do.
    I think you must be able to install it fresh with the upgrade, because it sounds pretty daft having to install XP to install vista on top of it...doesn't explain why its cheaper though
    Go for the non-upgrade anyway i would say, i've heard just upgrading can cause troubles

3. bkf

bkf Guest

Not to mention your XP keys would no longer work. I think in Microsofts mind you get an upgrade disc which is cheaper but it requires XP installed to install Vista so in their mind your XP disk is no longer valad because you used it to load Vista. Good deal huh!

4. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Neither.. The wise money is staying put with XP for now.
    It's very funny how reviewers for the previously "M$ can do no wrong" media are now saying AVOID.

Have you even begun to look at the situation with this turkey?

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/308662

5. ireland

ireland Active member

Workaround Discovered For "Clean Install" With Vista Upgrade DVDs

Microsoft internal documentation reveals workaround for Vista Upgrade DVDs with no need for a previous version of Windows

Just when everyone thought that all hope was lost when it comes to performing a clean install with a Windows Vista Upgrade DVD, a gleam of light can now be seen at the end of the tunnel. A new workaround proposed by Paul Thurrott (via Microsoft internal documents) has been confirmed to work by DailyTech.

We reported on Monday that Microsoft doesn't perform disc checking anymore during an operating system install. In the past, when performing a clean install, a user could boot from an install CD and insert a disc from a previous version of Windows for upgrade compliance.

Per Microsoft's new licensing requirements for Vista, users are required to install a Windows Vista Upgrade from within Windows XP. When this occurs, the Windows XP license is forfeited and the Windows Vista installation process can take place.

Now, however, this workaround allows users to perform a “clean install.” The process is a bit tedious, but is not hard at all to complete. Users have to perform these simple steps to perform a clean install of Vista without a previous version of Windows installed with an upgrade DVD:

1. Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD and start the setup program.
    2. When prompted to enter your product key, DO NOT enter it. Click "Next" and proceed with setup. This will install Windows Vista as a 30-day trial.
    3. When prompted, select the edition of Vista which you have purchased and continue with setup.
    4. Once setup has been completed and you have been brought to the desktop for the first time, run the install program from within Windows Vista.
    5. This time, type in your product key when prompted.
    6. When asked whether to perform an Upgrade or Custom (advanced) install, choose Custom (advanced) to perform a clean install of Vista. Yes, this means that you will have to install Vista for a second time.
    7. Once setup has completed for the second time, you should be able to activate Windows Vista normally. You can also delete the Windows.old directory which contains information from the first Vista install.

There's no telling why Microsoft left this loophole wide open with Windows Vista Upgrade DVDs, but this means that any retail upgrade DVD can be used as a fully functioning full retail copy of Vista.
    http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5932

Last edited: Mar 2, 2007
  6. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

by accident perhaps.... nahhh me thinks it was left like that on purpose

Last edited: Mar 2, 2007
  7. fastfox

fastfox Member

i ende up going for a full version. I had some agro getting a sound driver to work (now sorted) and ive found that nreo vision express 2 does not work with it (gutted)And i had to get Norton 2007 because its the only anti virus that works with it. Other than that ive found that its realy stable and crisp with loads of good new features. I think with abit more support thats its going to be realy good.
    The next thing i want to know is if i can install my old copy of xp on my other pc as its still only going to be used by me at the same address.

8. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

No, as the key for that XP should be listed as "used" in the MS database, and since the other system won't match the hardware of the one that now runs Vista...
    You'll need a new license key.
    So either say goodbye to more cash, or get linux X)

*i love it how people ALWAYS get bit in the @ss when they opt for Vista, no matter how or what they do*

9. fastfox

fastfox Member

"I love it how many people ALWAYS get bit in the @ss when they opt for vista, no matter how or what they do"
    Thats not a very nice thing to say, dude. So far ive found that most of the people slatting off vista are the ones that are gutted because they cant afford it...

Its a bit of a gutter about my copy of XP, though. Moraly microsoft should let me install it on my other machine. Ive brought both copys which are legit copys and cost alot of money. And microsoft wonder why people use other OS`s or even go for kooky copys of microsoft software...

10. janrocks

janrocks Guest

fair enough, but beware of generalising. I ran xp for years (came up from the dawn of 3.1) getting more and more annoyed at it crashing and the spiralling amount of anti-virus and spyware killing apps needed to just stay afloat, hogging my ram and cpu cycles

I can well afford vista, but why should I be an unpaid beta-tester?
    I'd rather be a *nix beta-tester (read "every day user") with access to the full source so I can find what is wrong myself..and know nobody is making a pretty profit off my work.

Look at it.. just because it's new doesn't make it good..just new. All new things must be considered faulty until proven otherwise. Vista is "broken by design" google for that phrase and see where it leads.

http://www.msboycott.com/

They are a fat monopoly (or they think they are) and believe that nobody else has any right to use computers for anything without permission from M$..... grim..

I made the change, and I'm not alone. Our ranks swell every day as people start to see through this con and seek empowerment through freedom from microsucks.

I notice ireland posted a "workaround" what a pile of shite.. this is supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread (white 80% water over processed crap) why do you need a workaround just to get the monster installed.. faulty by design.!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2007
  11. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Really ?
    I've found that most people that are telling folks not to get Vista are well informed IT techie's who don't need cash to aquire Vista, but are just too smart to fall for another one of microsoft's ploy's to gain dominance over the IT market...

And i've also found that most people making sly remarks about the possible content of other people's wallets to be folks who are just gutted because they lost a lot of money on a worthless Os and then find out their old XP key's won't work on their other system because they never bothered to read the user agreement they so willfully agreed to when installing both XP and Vista...

What, me cynical and sarcastic ? not a chance.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2007
  12. fastfox

fastfox Member

Ive found vista to be top for what i want it for.
    Fair enough there was a little bit of p155ing about to get the sound going and to find a version of nero that worked but other than that its so far been top dog. I think people should try stuff themselfs before binning it off as cr@p or no good. When XP was fist launched that had a few teathing problems too. I just think people are scared of change... Also ive just rang microsoft uk who tell me i can reinstall my copy of XP on my other machine with having to purchase a new product key.
    So with out starting a childish thread (Which i fear i may of already done) ive got a new OS that ok cost me abit of cash but i`m happy with it and i still get to use my old OS on my other `puter.
    Happy, me, oh yes!

13. fastfox

fastfox Member

Dont know what happen the the above reply. It was meant to be a qwote followed by a reply...
    I`l try again
    Ive found vista to be top for what i want it for.
    Fair enough there was a little bit of p155ing about to get the sound going and to find a version of Nero that worked but other than that its so far been top dog. I think people should try stuff themselfs before binning it off as cr@p or no good on what other people say. When XP was first launched that had a few teathing problems too.(problay more than vista) I just think people are scared of change... Also ive just rang microsoft uk who tell me i can reinstall my copy of XP on my other machine (once only) with out having to purchase a new product key/ copy of XP.
    So with out starting a childish thread (Which i fear i may of already done) ive got a new OS that, ok cost me abit of cash but i`m happy with it and i still get to use my old OS on my other `puter.
    Happy, me, oh yes!