1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vista home basic worth it over XP home edition?

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by touran22, Mar 30, 2007.

1. touran22

touran22 Regular member

hi, ok so i got a the windows vista installation CD.... now on that CD it asked if i wanted to use a vista upgrade adviser... so i used it and it said that on my system home basic would run the best without any hardware complications... i chose ultimate and and the rest of the packages to see if they would work on my system but it said my graphics card and ram needed to be upgraded... damn (i have 3.0ghz, 512mb ram, ATI Radion 9250 graphics card)

So do u think i should go for vista home basic over my XP home edtion?
    i use my computer for alot of psp "modding" and 360 modding and hopefully soon ps3. i use photoshoop on it and burning stuff and watching stuff and just generally read something i like about computers and try it out... so now u no what i use my PC for, isit worth it?

if i upgrade to ultimate right now, will the aero and other features just switch off automaticlly untill i upgrade becuase i think that would be better to switch of those features then when i get the parts to upgrade, it switchs them back on... what u do think?

thanks.

2. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Aero requires a DX9 graphics card.

You'll need 2GB of system ram for your machine to use Vista more efficiently...though 1GB on a budget will work too.

3. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

you're hard-up to find more than two people on this site that have actually looked at all the aspects of vista and still think "upgrading" is a good idea. short and smart answer: don't to it. well, don't do it yet, at least.

and as a senior member and addict, you both you should know your sigs are not within the limits of the rules.

4. touran22

touran22 Regular member

hi ok how do u upgrade the ram? i dont no what it loosk like and i dont no hwo to install it or were it is lol could u maybe show me some pics?

and i will change my sig.

5. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

I haven't received any word from a moderator, forum admin about it. But...since there's now a complaint, it's easy to fix.

6. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

7. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

ram is the easiest thing in the world to upgrade, given you haven't maxed out your motherboard's specs. it would be good to post what motherboard you have and the speed of your ram.

as for what ram looks like, please google. spoon-feeding is not something anyone likes to do.

8. touran22

touran22 Regular member

ok i dont no what motherboard i have.... i bought it from PC world and i got no mobo booklet.... ive used apps in the past that tell u your computer specs but my mobo name never came up how ever it told me my CPU was by "phoenix labs" if that helps lol.

i have 512mb of ram.... ive seen what it looks like.... do i rmeove this curent ram stick and insert a bigger one or if theres room just add another 512mb stick to make it a total of 1gb? Also when i buy ram sticks do i install via software after ive put it in my PC manually at all or will windows automaicly install? thank you.

9. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

it's not only the size of your ram's memory, but the speed and type of ram that are important, too. do you have any open slots for ram? it's pretty much required to find out your mobo; do you have no other information on it? CPUz should tell you the model number.

*edit*
    don't forget to cut out that sig to 5 lines of text.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2007
  10. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Hi Aus.. Why not enjoying your vacation (or is it fun getting mixed up with stuff here?)

A short and simple reply.. No it isn't worth it as vista isn't an upgrade.. It is a confidence trick. You are being misled into believing that you MUST have this junk, whereas in reality XP is just fine for the next few years at least. The sensible money is staying put where it is on this.. so far vista has a lower uptake (as an install on existing systems) than ME had.. and that was a turkey as well.

11. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

vista is going to be replaced in under two years by a new OS, anyway--something with fresh code, hopefully.

well, jan, there's enough stupid to drive me away, but i find that there's enough stupid to pull me back in, as it goes unrewarded without my attention.

12. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

Question for the original poster: Why would you want to "upgrade" a perfectly good, resource-moderate OS that is relatively un-crippled, for a crippled, untested, unproven resource-hog?

Unfortunately, there's a mentality in the computer world that, if it ain't broke, upgrade until it is.

13. touran22

touran22 Regular member

You your absoloutly right! i sit on the computer chair just loon for ways to improve or have the latest drivers and what not and by the end im forced to ask for help here on afterdawn cuz the upgrade Fu**ed up.

Wow never realised untill i read it.. damn

btw... CPUz is the program i used to checked and it didn tell me my motherboard... the person who told me to use it also said it was strange that it didn give my mobo name....

EDIT:

i just looked inside my PC and there are 2 RAM sticks inserted next to each other with no more free slots availble. does this mean that both of those ram sticks are 256mb a stick to make a total of 512mb all togethor? shall i just buy 2 512mb or and replace the 2 256mb ones? thanks.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2007
  14. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

I'd recommend replacing them with 2 x 1GB sticks.

15. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Five years to get Vista out the door with new code....then two for a fresh one? Not likely...but we can always keep our fingers crossed.

16. touran22

touran22 Regular member

Do u no any were in the UK were i can purchase cheap ones?

17. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

touran22, edit your sig to conform to forum specs ASAP.
    1. Text-only signatures should have at most 5 lines of text.

18. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

there was news somewhere from Microassraping that a new OS is under development as we speak and they hope to have it on store shelves in 2009.

19. reilands

reilands Guest

Stick with Xp unless you want to invite BIG BROTHER onto your computer. I am waiting a couple years before I upgrade and I hope its not Windows.

20. touran22

touran22 Regular member

there u go!

And i like Windows! its ser friendly in my oppinion! i just wanna give vista a try but i will take your advice and upgrade acoringly and install on a new hdd so i have XP and Vista.