1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vista: internet will not connect after...

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by uponthis, Feb 2, 2007.

1. uponthis

uponthis Regular member

What i did was install Jetico personal firewall and was really getting tired of it asking for every little thing to be allowed to connect. So i uninstalled it. After doing so, my internet will not connect now using my OS Vista. It was working fine before i downloaded Jetico. On my other pc that has XP on it and it's working just fine. Both are going through a router the whole time and was working fine! So i am asking if anyone could point me in the right direction on how to get my pc with Vista on it connected to the net again. Like i said, it was working fine through the router, i even hooked it straight from my modem to my pc and that still didn't help.
    Cableone modem, Linksys router

2. whompus

whompus Active member

You may need to run a registry cleaner app to get rid of anything jetico may have left there. You might also walk through internet connection wizard if vista has one to reset your connection type.

3. uponthis

uponthis Regular member

whompus,
    I ran ccleaner on it and also ran the connection wizard and still no connection. Rebooted the pc and tried again and nothing.

4. whompus

whompus Active member

Hmmm.. Sounds like IE7 mishaps. Try in ie7 under options, preference, or whatever ie7 is calling it now, connection tab, take the checkmark out from automatically detect network settings. See if that helps. If not maybe use the computer that does connect to download firefox and install it on the one that don't connect. See if it will connect with firefox. If it does then you will know it is something up with ie7. It has went far enough that Ms offers an app called ie7 blocker that blocks ie7 from always showing up as critical update for those that don't want it.

5. uponthis

uponthis Regular member

whompus, kinda found the problem. I reinstalled Jetico firewall and my internet is working again after it asking to allow everything to connect again. Something in that firewall has done something after i uninstall it. I was using Maxthon as well and it wouldn't let me connect either. I even started the pc in Safe mode and uninstalled Jetico, rebooted the pc and tried to get the net going again, no dice.

Found the problem maker. Now to get this taken care of somehow and off my system and still have my internet going. I forgot one of the most important things when i got this home, Make the 1st system restore point before i did all this. (yeah, i felt really stupid after i remembered about that step).

I'm getting to bed. Gonna head over to that Jetico site and get some help with this, not unless someone has further info they would like to share.