1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vista Media center and files on other computer

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by ads, Nov 10, 2008.

1. ads

ads Member

Ok i have alot of media files on my media computer thats on my tv and instead of copying all the files to my other computer on my other tv i wanted to stream them through the network I would like to use windows media center and the files on windows xp computer they are wired through a wired network so its gb conection so speed isnt a problem the problem im haveing is geting the vista computer to see the shared files i tried createing a shoercut and doing it through the problem still not working i can play the files through windows media player just not through the media center i would like to because i have a remote for the computer and rather not use a keyboard and mouse for it

2. CodyGWinT

CodyGWinT Member

ads-

Hi, my name's Cody, and I'm working with the Windows Media Outreach Team to help answer questions users might have. I'm not too clear on what exactly your setup is, but it sounds like your problem migth be that you are trying to run an XP Media Center extender in conjunction with a copy of Vista. Unfortunately, the original Windows XP-based Media Center Extenders are not compatible with the Windows Vista operating system at this time.

The only media extender currently compatible with both XP and Vista is the Xbox 360. Here's a link to some frequently asked questions about media extenders that might be helpful: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/mediacenter/extenderfaq.mspx

If I've misunderstood your question, please let me know, and I can take another look at your situation to try and resolve your issues.

Thanks,

Cody
    Windows Media Outreach Team

3. ads

ads Member

No just runing regular windows xp pro.. wanted to share files on a sever between several computers and do it through the media center to make it easyier to pick what movie to watch since the computer would be on all the time as a sever for dumping files.. got 4 tb of movies from my movie collection and to put that on all the media computers would be impossable because they can only hold 2 hardrives per case..

4. CodyGWinT

CodyGWinT Member

ads-

You may not have the setup correct. According to this guide: http://computershopper.com/networking/howto/stream-video-from-your-pc-to-your-tv2 , you need a PC running Windows Vista Ultimate, Vista Home Premium, or Media Center Edition 2005 with Update Rollup 2. These three operating systems offer Microsoft's Media Center software. I'm not sure that the XP Pro OS can handle what you are trying to accomplish with it. Media managed through Media Center can only be relayed via a home network to standard TV sets via the specially designed Windows Media Center Extender or the Xbox 360. Please let me know if this is helpful, or if you have any other specific questions.

Thanks,

Cody
    Windows Media Outreach Team

5. bajtra

bajtra Member

The windows media center doesn't support extending to other pc's. You may want to try a media center like GBPVR.

Their main site is down right now but you can still download the software through their forum.