1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

vista on my comp?

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by honda155, Jan 29, 2007.

1. honda155

honda155 Guest

i have a dell dimension 3000 i was running vista on my comp but i was unable to use the aero theme or the scrollin through pages in 3d thing so i put xp back on, do i have to have more ram for those features to work? wat do i need to do to make my computer run vista ultimate at full capability? this is my system info-

Intel(R)
    Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
    2.79GHz,512MB of RAM

2. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Bump it up to a min of 1G system ram, and get a decent DX9 video card...nothing less then a Geforce 6800GS, or ATI 850/1950 AGP.

3. strife10

strife10 Member

4. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

One of the math equations I like to use when determining if a system can run an app or OS, is:

Either 3x the Minimum requirements, or 2x the Recommended requirements.

What that does...is give your system much more breathing room then trying to meet just the min specs, or if the system is just beyond the min specs.

So...if Vista says min of 512MB system ram, make your min 1.5GB. If the Recommended spec is 1GB, then 2GB will work even better. Until Vista gets broken in...and people start reporting what the OS (not the Beta/RC versions) is using in system resources, it's hard to establish a real baseline for decent system specifications. Especially since user built systems are usually never the same. OEM systems, yeah....you know a particular product line is ALL going to have the same hardware. But for the power users out there, we're all going to have different memory, different CPUs, hard drives, motherboards, chipsets...sound....you name it. That's usually why I go by that math when looking at specs for a software package.