1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vista or XP media center

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by WhoFriend, May 1, 2007.

1. WhoFriend

WhoFriend Member

I'm thinking of getting a new laptop. Among other things I"m trying to decide between either getting Vista or Media Center. I like the idea of having my laptop as my entertainment hub. And I guess that's what it's going to be, mostly. Alot of school/work.

But, I don't know if I can afford the 500 dollar HD drive, so would that make Media Center useless to me essentially?

Besides movies etc, I plan to play games on it probably TV.

I know that Vista has a lot of bugs and everyone is telling me to wait. But the thing is, I don't have enough money (definitly not after this laptop) to upgrade to Vista 2-4 years down the line after the kinks are worked out. So that's really all the Vista has going for me right now. I haven't extensively researched Vista so I'll admit any opinion I have is crap. So thoughts?

What I'm planning to get is either th HP dv9000t, Toshiba G35 or the Fujitsu N6420 (I think that's the model number)

TY all so very much.

EDIT: Is there a Vista media center? I'm not even sure if XP media center is available for the HP.

Last edited: May 1, 2007
  2. rubixcube

rubixcube Regular member

Vista comes with the Media Center program on any edition above and including Home Premium (but not Business edition) Make SURE they don't give you Home Basic. Complete waste of time, might as well go back to Win98 lol. Take it from me (I have been using vista for about 6 months) it's really not that bad, from what I have seen there aren't any bugs, it's visually pleasing, and it runs everything that XP normally would. Driver compatibility has shot through the roof, so most products now are fully Vista compliant. And about the biggest myth I've heard - it's not slow. Once you get used to the slightly new interface, you won't want to go back to XP. Just my two cents.
    Rubix

3. WhoFriend

WhoFriend Member

Thank you very much. That's prety cool that it comes with it.

4. rubixcube

rubixcube Regular member

Happy to help. Private message me if you need any help with anything else.