1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vista to XP

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by numero21, Feb 4, 2007.

1. numero21

numero21 Guest

I decided to upgrade to Vista from XP. All my old Windows settings and folders were saved to a folder called 'windows.old'. Can i access my settings and programs from this folder to apply to Vista? I did not run the transfer wizard before i did the upgrade. Can anyone help me get my old settings/programs back?

2. fastfox

fastfox Member

From what i hear, you should be able to install vista over the top of XP and still keep as many of the settings from XP that are replaced by vista. You should not lose any of your old XP files in the process.
    This is what i have read in a mag. Havn`t tried it myself as i`m staill waiting for my copy of vista to come from microsoft

3. CraCker19

CraCker19 Member

if you have run the backup utility from xp
    and saved it on a specific location,you should be able to search it on Vista,that is if you have done a upgrade
    if you have done a clean install,no way you will get it IF the data is not saved on an external drive

simple to check on vista
    on the vista logo(left hand bottom corner) jus above that there is a search engine
    just type the file name
    "windows.old"