1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vista UAC

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by MaxPayne1, May 23, 2007.

1. MaxPayne1

MaxPayne1 Member

Just a question that has been bothering me about the Vista User Account Control. When I go to manually (right click) scan with my anti-virus program it comes up with the UAC panel and asks permission to scan. I was just wondering if this UAC inhibits the on-access scanning from working in the 'background'?. I would appreciate any advice about this. And yes Vista is wonderful....j/k. Thanks

2. ashwin18

ashwin18 Regular member

Judging from your post, I can say that you may not really need UAC turned on. I'd personally prefer it switched off, because it's nothing but an annoyance (it increases the number of times you have to click your mouse, and the time). In case you didn't know, here's how to turn it off:

- Clcik Start
    - In the 'Run' section (bottom left corner of the start menu), type 'msconfig.exe' (without the quotes)
    - In the window that opens, switch to the 'Tools' tab
    - Select 'Disable UAC'
    - Click OK, and reboot if required
    If the 'Security Center' keeps bugging you about this, open it (Security Center), click 'Change how Security Center alerts me' (don't remember what exactly it's called, and neither do I have Vista installed right now), and select the option that completely turns off the SC and dosen't display the icon in the taskbar.

As for UAC interfering with the on-access scanner, Microsoft (hopefully) has programmed UAC to not interfere with an on-access scanner. It may also depend on whether your Antivirus Scanner is a popular one or not.

Plus, there are ways to find out if your AV scanner is scanning files in the background. If it is, then it's safe to assume that UAC is not interfering with it. The method to find out varies.

Hope that helps :)