1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vista..

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by HoVa911, Jan 16, 2007.

1. HoVa911

HoVa911 Guest

if i were to buy Vista Home Premium and install it on my desktop would i loose any programs, pictures, music, videos, etc.? or would it install on my second hdd?

2. bkf

bkf Guest

I don't think anybody knows for sure what would happen because it's not even out for a couple of more weeks, Want some advice (you going to get it anyway) WAIT because it's going to be a mess.

3. MasterChu

MasterChu Guest

Moving to Langjökull in Iceland - so all the info I posted is moving with me!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2007
  4. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

I too, have been using since before the days of Microsoft. Vista is nowhere near perfect...and it will be the better part of the next two years before it gets better.

Vista will have it's up's and down's...all OSes do. While the OS will run great by itself, the problems will start to surface as more and more work is put into the system. It still is not fully compatible with all current software titles...or drivers.

It also has a more tighter security system which users will become quickly irritated at. Having all installations stop to ask directions (permission from the Admin), is going to get annoying to those already frustrated with using computers or are just those that want to get in, get it done and get out.

Unless it comes preinstalled, I'm with the others...I've tested it since Alpha 4096, and until SP1 arrives for the OS, you're better off staying with XP. That will also give plenty of time for most vendors to update their software/drivers.

I keep a sharp eye out on all the systems I've maintained, and not a single one of them has a perfect, 100% fail proof record. Bad drivers, updates to the OS, and the occasional defective piece of hardware have wreaked havoc on many occasions. Without that happening, I wouldn't have become as experienced as I am...and neither would anyone else.

Computers and the software that run them, fail. It's just a matter of how, when, and why.

So, MasterChu, I'll take that bet! :)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2007
  5. MasterChu

MasterChu Guest

Moving to Langjökull in Iceland - so all the info I posted is moving with me!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2007
  6. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Agreed!!

and you had to go and mention ME...oh, the agony....you could run your computer under water longer than using that OS...the shell had, and never fixed, memory leaks, causing those notorious system failures...

It is true, power users will seek out the full use of the OS. Opening every door, turning every corner and seeking out the potential of newer additions, which in turn will show weaknesses. Basically, leaving it up to us to help educate those that have been lost in the new changes. It's that experience alone, that leaves me in the group of those that are not trying to turn people away from Vista, it has great potential...just letting others know from the past to take their time.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2007
  7. elliott

elliott Regular member

I just read through your postings on this thread I too tested windows vista beta, rc1, rc2 and rtm, which god bless'em is the verion on new computers. I would not recoomend buying vista for your existing pc if that pc is running on 32bit it slows it down so much that it's rediculous. I also agree the extra layer of security is to annoying, the rest of it is eye-candy. Most pc users have never even unlocked the full potential of XP. Now if your a power user, or gamer and have a new 64bit or dual core processor go for it you will have a new learning curve, new ways to burn data & dvd discs that at the beginning confounded me but I figured it out. New Windows & Updated included casual Games, new headaches because your software drivers won't work like they are supposed, and other hardware issues. I would recommend not upgrading but buying a new system with it installed or waiting at least 6 months for a patch or service pack "you know there will be one". Overall I enjoyed testing it and got paid real good I get a free copy of the Ultimate Edition but I haven't recieved it yet and I won't Install it for awhile my pc is new and I will need a newer one for Vista.

8. roxydog99

roxydog99 Guest

Any news on DVD backup issues with Vista? I had a few comments from a "friend" who suggested Vista might have some copy protection built in.

9. wabashman

wabashman Active member

backed up my copy of "the marine" and "open season" today using vista without any problems. the only problem was getting around the sony protection on "open season." but other then that not a problem. havent tried burning them yet, will do that in morning.