1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vivastar (Matshita) LF-D310 burning problem

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by steve-dsl, Oct 24, 2003.

1. Debidee

Debidee Member

Hi again, the prob im also having is playing dvds, its saying I need the ASPI drivers, whats this?

2. rexie

rexie Member

Hello GlennT
    I hope that this will help.
    I bought some Panasonic RAM disks (non-cartridge type) only to find the LF-D310 wouldn't do the necessary.
    I did a lot of searching and somehow located a file for downloading on the Panasonic website. I installed the file and the drive started working beautifully.
    The EASIEST way to locate the file is to do a search for the file itself. This is XP2220NE.EXE. Note that the 0 is a zero.
    The web page refers to LF-311 but the files I downloaded worked for me. I have just entered LF-D310 in the search on this page and it produced more goodies.
    I use Nero 6 for writing to the DVD.

3. rexie

rexie Member

Hello again
    I have just followed the link to the second page and became confused by the references to LF-D321 but I read on and saw that the LF-D301 is displayed in the graphics describing the installation steps.
    There is a lot of information and guidance that may easily provide solutions to the problems that you and others have experienced.
    Good luck!

4. GroovyJoe

GroovyJoe Member

Any and all,

I have just purchased the same drive in question and have run into a wall also.

I am running Win xp Pro and have installed the drive two days ago.

I have some DVD-R 4,7GB dusc and i'm trying to burn a dvd using Nero's software (6.0)

My drive wont even format a dic from the MY Computer menu, nor the DVD RAM software han someone mentioned two posts ago from the Panasonic site.

I hae also updated the Firmware....like i know wtf that is, but I tried this also.

Can anyone offer me any advice or let me know what trial and error they have discovred so that i will not make the same mistake.

I should also add that I have never burned a dvd before, so I am more than likely not aware of some that would be simple to some of you. Are the same teps taken with a DVD-R that are taken when burning a CD? or is there something I have o do before burning to a disc?

If you can ofer and any help, i thank you at least for ready this post all the way through.

Joe

5. sankyou

sankyou Member

Joe -

Getting this drive to work with DVD-RAMs can be a little of a pain in the A$$. I did find that after toying with it for a while I could get it to work using the Panasonic tool's shell integration in Win 2K. I suppose the best advice I can give you on this topic is to make sure the format tool you are attempting to use is coming up as the one from panasonic and NOT looking the same as it would for - say formating a floppy disc. One thing to note on this drive: it is picky. Generic media, for the most part, simply won't work. The only generic media I have been able to burn is optodisc. Optodisc dvd-r (I tried gold but they probably all work) and optodisc DVD-RAM discs all worked fine in the drive. I have also successfully burned with Memorex 4x dvd-r and Verbatim dvd-r.

As to your "same step" cdr question: it depends

If you are referring to burning a non-copyprotected dvd then the answer is yes.

Otherwise when it comes to burning consumer dvds (for backup purposes of course) there are some steps to take. DvdXcopy Express for beginners is the simple solution and the freeware program dvdshrink is great once you get a hang of things.

Good luck and I'll keep an eye on this forum...

6. GroovyJoe

GroovyJoe Member

Sankyou,

Thanks for the reply. I'll try looking for that brand of disc, I tried using the Fujifilm DVD+R (like a dumba$$) and some Smartdisk DVD-R.

My main problem is getting the drive to burn at all. I have not yet burned anything with this.

I'll post back with some results later this week once i get the right disc. I live in GA and havent seen that brand in the Best Buys or Media Plays, but i'll look around.

Thx
    Joe

7. rexie

rexie Member

Hi Groovy Joe
    The first RAM disks I used with the JF-D310 were TDK cartridge type at £10 each. I had no troubles using them but did not like price. Then I found the Panasonic non-cartridge (£15for5).
    As I said previously, I couldn't write to these until I installed XP2220NE.EXE.
    Your posting dated 15th March said you could not "format a disk". This is puzzling. Why would you want to format a disk unless it is a RAM disk? You do not format write-once disks (CDs or DVDs).
    As to media, I have tried a variety of write-once disks and had no problems. My current write-once disks are PCLine.
    I do not copy propriety DVDs - I have more interesting things
    to do with my time.

8. GroovyJoe

GroovyJoe Member

Rexie,

I am using RAM disc. I was under the impression that I had to format it, because when I had the disc in the drive and went to my computer, and clicked properties on the drive letter it said it was full -even though it was new.

I'm not copying DVD's - I'm trying to make my own dvd's with Nero cause i dabble a bit in video editing and whatnot. So it's not for copying purposes, just fyi.

9. rexie

rexie Member

Hello Joe
    I am confused (very easily done).
    A RAM disk is a disk that can be used in the same way
    as a hard drive. You can drag and drop, delete etc
    etc simply using Windows Explorer. You do NOT use
    Nero or any similar CD/DVD writing programme for this
    function
    Like a hard drive, it must be formatted before you
    can start using it. Perhaps I will be proved wrong by
    someone but I would never use Nero to format a RAM
    disk. I suspect that there is a strong possibilty
    that the disk could end up as a beer mat.
    On my computer, I simply insert an unformatted RAM
    disk into the Vivastar drive, open Windows Explorer,
    right click on the drive and select "Format".
    For your information, the disk capacity is 4.2 GB,
    File system is FAT 32 and the "format" is UDF.
    I use Nero for write-once DVDs on the Vivastar and
    for write-once and rewritable CDs and DVDs on my
    second drive.
    Hope this is useful. If you need more detailed info
    let me know how to contact you by email.
    PS. I am much too old to appreciate your website.

10. GroovyJoe

GroovyJoe Member

Thanks for the tip Rexie. I'm still having trouble even using the drag & drop with explorer. Maybe I need to find better disc.

I really hate this drive. Best Buy ( or any other computer store) has a Panasonic dvd +r+rw and all that jazz for 129.00. Maybe I'll use the LF-D310 to balance that table that just wont stand right.

The website is just a hobby, but thanks for visiting, always glad to see some traffic - positive or not. lol

Joe

11. rexie

rexie Member

Hello Joe
    Why not comsider the LG GSA 4081B at £80 from ebuyer?
    I ordered one today as a special treat for me being such a helpful chap. The following link will tell you more.
    http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Articles/Specific.asp?ArticleHeadline=LG+GSA-4081A&Series=0

I am keeping the Vivastar purely for the RAM drive because I cannot think of a good reason to ditch it.

For some reason I keep thinking that you do not possess any RAM disks and are trying to achieve something that cannot be done without one. This thought is based on your unwillingness to state what brand or type (cartridge/non-cartridge)of RAM disk you are using.

12. GroovyJoe

GroovyJoe Member

Is dvd-r the same as the ram disc you're mentioning?

If so, i have some Smartdisk DVD-R 4.7GB, as stated in my first post on the 15th.

Like i said before...

I am NEW to the whole "DVD BURNING" world. If I doing something out of the norm, let me know.

13. rexie

rexie Member

All becomes clear.

Are you sitting comfortably? Then I will begin.

DVD-R is a write once disk.
    DVD-RW is a rewritable disk.
    DVD-RAM is a rewritable disk that behaves in the same way as a hard disk or a floppy disk. It is therefore
    completely different to a DVD-RW. RAM disks are available as cartridge (sometimes referred to as a
    caddy)or non-cartridge types. The cartridge type is very much like a large floppy disk. The non-cartridge
    disks look like a normal disk but the data surface is completely different. They are available in single or
    double sided. The latter having a claimed capacity of 9.4 GB.

DVD-R disks cost about £1 each
    I don't know about DVD-RW's but I guess £2 to £3 each.
    DVD-RAM's are between £3 and £8 each so it is worth shopping around. I have seen a double sided for £7.

The Vivastar does not support DVD-RW.
    If you have attempted to format a DVD-R disk then it is most likely that the disk is useless.
    DVD-RAMs (like floppies) must be formatted using the method I detailed yesterday.

If you wish to write to a DVD-R then Nero is the way to go. In essence, you define the type of disk you
    are going to create (data, music, mixed, or whatever) define the source of the data to be written and, if
    the option is offered, select if you wish to keep the disk "open" for adding further data at a later date.
    Press the appropriate button and away it goes. All this is done from a blank untampered with disk. Do
    anything else and you have a beer mat.
    If you only have the one DVD drive then going from disk to disk means that Nero will first copy the
    source data to your hard disk and then to the blank. If you have two DVD drives then Nero will transfer the data from disk to disk.

I think it might be appropriate to mention that the Vivastar does not support DVD+ disks. I think it will
    read them but there is no way that it will write to a + disk. This might clarify the fact that the - and +
    signs refer to a method of producing the blanks and final disks. The methods are different and sometimes
    produce incompatibility problems but that is another bedtime story.

14. strap

strap Guest

Hi all again i have disposed of my LF-D310 now cos i got a NEC 2500A for £65 and was pissed off with the thing. I will say it again i had no problem with durning using the LF-D310 if i used a specific type of disc Digimate DVD-R. any other disc gave me hassle one way or annother. ps my new NEC 2500A is fantastic it burns anything. lol all.

15. yorkie247

yorkie247 Member

Hi just joined after reading you comments, i thought that this might help you on some things,just have a read and see what you think http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/2989 .
    Plus just for your info i use dvd srink to copy dvd to my pc and nero 6 to copy to disk no probs.
    I thought i would ask has any one got around the region lock if so can you tell me please.