1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vizio 37" LCD HDTV

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by vspede, May 14, 2006.

1. vspede

vspede Member

Ok so I bought this TV at Costco. Its on sale for $1200 bucks. Never had an LCD HDTV before so I thought to give it a try. It works great in my apt but I have a few questions.

1: "Digital Out" on TV for sound only works for DIgital Cable? Not basic Cable right?

2: Since my LCD HDTV has built in tuners (2 of em, astc and nstc or something like that)I was told to buy a splitter, run 1 into the nstc line, and buy a coaxial cable and run that into the astc line?
    so something like this...
    _______ <---digital cable using coaxial cable
    -----_______ <---Regular Cable TV

3: How come the picture is not really sharply focused when people are on but when cartoons are on they're very focused.

4: why the hell can I not change my Sound Setting on my TV from Mono to Stereo? Its stuck on Mono.

ANy help would be appreciated thanks.

FYI I have it hooked up to a DVD Player and a Klipsch 5 speaker surround sound. DvD Player is using digital optical for sound and component for video while the TV is hooked up to the Klipsch with a red and white plug.

2. codydog

codydog Regular member

If I'm not mistaken the digital out on the t.v. is a pass through from the dvd, or signal source, to the amplifier. I'm not trying to be snooty but you could have bought a lot better lcd for the money. Sounds like it with the picture quality. The reason cartoons ore better, they have very little shading, easier to process and display. This is also the reason you lose sharpness with regular pictures. LCD, is known to blur with fast motion, or sports. You can tune the sharpness, contrast, to help eleminate some of this. I would check the manu site for the audio problem. EDIt> Yeah, you can have digital "HDTV," into one and analog into the other. EDIT> AGAIN>Don't feel bad I went through three HDTV's in 6 months. They cost too much to have to compromise. If I am going to pay 1500.00 for something, by g@d it better be just about perfect. Sorry, just ranting.

Last edited: May 15, 2006
  3. vspede

vspede Member

Yea the specs on this LCD aren't great but suprisingly the picture quality is better than other LCD's i've seen that have higher specs. This is in relation to the contrast and brightness.

The TV itself is very bright, its just that I'm kind of disappointed that regular tv looks not as sharp on it.

I have a Phillips DVP642 which is rated to 480P. THeres a huge difference when I play a DVD on it. The picture is simply put, outstanding.

I was just sad that my Cable doesn't output Digital signals. I thought the whole reason for a built in HD tuner was that I could simply put in a cable in it and it'd work. Apparently I need to get a set-top box or something and than I can get ti which is like more money per month. Very sad actually. LoL. If theres another way, I'd love to hear it.

4. codydog

codydog Regular member

Yeah, to get hd you have to pay dearly for it. I looked at my local listing and there are only 10 HD channels available. Can't justify the cost right now. The bad thing is all of the imperfections with analog broadcasts really stand out with high definition t.v.'s. I think that has a lot the do with your problem with contrast and sharpness. I you look at most of the hd t.v.'s default settings they lean to the soft, ie lowered contrast and sharpness. But you can counter that by increasing the color saturation. The didital input can be used by purchasing a HDTV antenna, "back to rabbit ears," but before you spend good money on one amke sure you are at least within 20 miles of the source. I hear they work great. I don't know first hand, i live 150 miles from the nearest town with HD broadcasts. Oh well. Good luck.

5. vspede

vspede Member

Yea, I've learned a lot about this TV so far. I'm sad to say I feel like I've been ripped off from the whole HDTV thing. I mean I expected to spend money on cables and stuff but man, I can't believe they expect me to pay for a Set-Top Box, Cables, Digital subscription just to get the best of an expensive TV i just bought.

What sucks is my apartment comes with sattelite cable but it goes through the wall so I probably need a box. bleh.

That and Digital Audio only works with Digital Cable hence I need to use analog for the sound, sigh.

And here I thought a built in HD Tuner would solve all this crap. What a waste of money. I thought 2 inputs (ATSC and NTSC) meant I could just stick my cable wire into it and it'd work. Guess not.

6. codydog

codydog Regular member

Well, I'm asuming you are in the us. Most of the us will be switched over to digital in 2007. I think the mandatory date is 2009. You are on the right road. I'm converting from satellite to digital cable next month. 3 mbs cable modem, "i'm at 256k right now," digital box and digital phone. 50.00 a month less than I'm paying for all of the individual services combined. Be patient, it's coming. EDIT> oh yeah, i like the sig. My version is a friend will bail you out of jail, but a real friend will be sitting on the toilet in the cell next to you saying, "you know, she didn't look like a cop."

Last edited: May 17, 2006