1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vizio VM60P - 60" Plasma - What do you think?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by crenshaw9, Mar 11, 2008.

1. crenshaw9

crenshaw9 Guest

I saw that the 60" Vizio HD Plasma is sold at Costco for only $2,000.

This seems like a great deal for a plasma that size. I am looking to get a big TV and wondering if this is a good value...

Does anyone have this TV or know anything about it? It looks nice at Costco but I don't know anything about Vizio so any thoughts would be helpful.

2. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Hmm, it has a native resolution of 1024x768 (720p), so if resolution is a big thing for you, this wouldn't be the tv for you.

I've read that thing weights 180 pounds or so, pretty damn heavy if you ask me. Also, it seems to have problems with image burn

It has a contrast ratio of 7000:1, which is pretty good, but for the money you could find a tv with a much higher contrast ratio. Remember, contrast, brightness, and color reproduction are some of the most important properties to look at when purchasing a tv.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/03/27/consumer-reports-looks-at-the-60-inch-vizio-vm60p-plasma/

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/675127/VIZIO_VM60P_60_Plasma_HDTV_Review.html

http://www.consumersearch.com/www/electronics/plasma-tv/v-inc-vizio-vm60p.html

Do a search on that particular model over at AVSForums and see what they have been saying about it.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2008
  3. MysticE

MysticE Active member

From Consumer Reports:

Highs
    Very good picture quality across the board. Satisfying level of detail. Stable black level doesn't vary in brightness with different types of content. Separate RGB-level adjustments. It did a good job smoothing out jagged edges in movies and other film-based content.

Lows
    Black levels are too bright on dark scenes and limit contrast on brighter scenes. Slight banding, mainly in scenes with subtly shaded light-to-dark areas (such as a sky during sunset). TV did not hold its brightness setting when switched off and then back on, or when switching between video sources. When using the component-video input, noise and graininess were visible; problems disappeared when using the HDMI connection.

Bottom Line
    If you want a jumbo plasma TV at a less-than-jumbo price, this 720p 60-incher is worth considering. Picture quality was very good, though a notch below the best sets. It has a few flaws but offers a lot of bang for the buck, particularly if you plan to use its HDMI connections.

Do note the best set in this category scored 78, the Vizio was at 65. the lowest was 61.

4. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

I'd agree to, that's a good buy for 60" of love.