1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VobSub issues in VirtualDub.

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by GoldenKevin, Mar 13, 2011.

1. GoldenKevin

GoldenKevin Member

Hey guys, I'm trying to convert a very large library of MKVs that contains a H.264 video, Vorbis audio, and several formats of subtitles into a video that I can upload to my iPod through hardcoding all the subs. I am successful in mixing the audio and video in VirtualDub. However, I am having issues mixing my VobSub subtitle track using a VobSub filter. I downloaded DirectVobSub v2.39 from the Guliverkli2 project, extracted VSFilter.dll to the plugins folder of VirtualDub, and then renamed VSFilter.dll to VSFilter.vdf. When I opened VirtualDub and went to Video->Filters->Add->VobSub, pressed OK, selected the .idx file for the VobSub, and then hit F5 to Preview, the subs did not show up at all. I tried opening the .sub file in VobSub, with the same results. I opened the same subs in VLC Media Player and they worked fine, so I know it's not the file itself. Anyway, after I did that, I tried experimenting with a SSA file that was also included in the MKV container and that worked perfectly fine with TextSub (which also came with VSFilter.vdf).

I tried this with both VirtualDub 1.9.11 (I believe that's the latest version) and VirtualDubMod 1.5.10.2, both giving the same results. I really don't want to rollback to SSA because it does not preserve the original format from the DVD, while VobSub does, and was scanned using an OCR so there are many errors (such as the letters I and L being mixed up). I thought it would be easier to burn a bitmap sub format onto a video than render text from a text based sub format and then burn it on, but it appears as though I am wrong.

If anyone can help me, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. attar

attar Senior member

Is it one particular sub/idx file that is the problem (do you have another sub/idx file that you can load into VirtualDub as a test).

3. GoldenKevin

GoldenKevin Member

Yes, I have tried many sub/idx files and they do not work. Perhaps the newer versions of VirtualDub has lost support for this old plugin?

Like I had said, I tried the subs in VLC before and they worked fine. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I demuxed the tracks from the MKV before putting it into VirtualDub? (but they still work when I manually load them into VLC when playing the demuxed AVI video).

4. attar

attar Senior member

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  5. GoldenKevin

GoldenKevin Member

Maybe it's just the preview that's messed up and it'll show up correctly in the output.

Attar, can you please check if your subs show up in the preview box? Do you use the frameserver or do you just save an AVI from VirtualDub? Thanks.

6. attar

attar Senior member

Yes they show up.
    Saving from VirtualDub.
    I'm using it under Windows 7.