1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

volume control on LCD TV with TV tuner card

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by dmehling2, Mar 17, 2009.

1. dmehling2

dmehling2 Member

I have my desktop computer using my LCD TV as its monitor, and I plan on watching TV on the computer with a tuner card. If I have the audio output connected to the TV, does the Windows volume control have any effect, or is it solely controlled by the TV volume control?

2. GenesisX

GenesisX Member

One small question to begin with... why don't you just use the LCD TV as the TV? Wouldn't the picture be a bit more clear? (unless you have the best tuner card in the world).

Ummm... To your question. Through personal experience, I've played around with my parent's EEE PC. What I've done, was I connected it to my Bravia in such a format:

EEE PC -> VGA -> TV
    //////-> 3.5 mm cord -> TV

In such a format, I was able to control the volume via my netbook* and the TV. Think of it this way:

You have a cell A that is sized 1mm. You use a microscope and magnify it 10x. You then have a 10mm - sized specimen on scope.

You have a cell B that is sized 0.1 mm. You use a microscope and magnify it 100x. You then have a 10mm - sized specimen on scope.

EDIT: Bad example - works all the same =DD

What this is to tell you is that if you have an input that is 5x quieter than the input B; where you need the output to be the same, you would need the magnifier (in your case, the speakers - TV) to amplify it 5x more than in case A.

I believe that you can change it at both ends, but have someone who actually knows this to give you a definite answer. Theoretically mine's should work, and it actually did for me. Not exactly sure how your setup is detailed.

However, I hope you enjoyed reading =/.

GenesisX - Good Luck!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2009