1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

vu+ ultimo (*ts) tv recordings and car multimedia compatibility

Discussion in 'High resolution audio' started by ame_soner, Jul 3, 2015.

1. ame_soner

ame_soner Newbie

What's the easiest way to play the TV recordings in the car ?
    1- Vu+ ultimo satellite receiver (*.ts)
    2- Navitech NX224R car multimedia front dashboard
    3- Navitech DM-091P head seat displays

A-I was trying to convert the *.ts files to the DIVX portable formats with divx converter. But this is taking time.

B-Is there a way to do this conversion within the vu+ ultimo if there is no way to get rid of conversion?

C-TV Recordings File Synchronization between satellite receiver internal hard drive and a portable external hard drive by using FileZilla/Desync application may help for portability but it doesn't help either to compatibility. Seagate wifi enabled external hard drive can be used for the same purpose but it's very expensive

D-Car multimedia front dashboard and rear seats head displays can't play *.ts files directly.

I don't want spend all my time to convert child movie tv serials (Gravity Falls) conversion:)

Don't we have such a way to get rid of all the conversion tasks other than putting the vu+ satallite receiver in the car and connecting to the displays:)

Thanks,
    Soner

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

player appears to be able to play mp4,use vidcoder to convert 1 & see.If it plays ok batch convert the rest or you can use handbrake.Both have options to customize output or use presets or download presets.Average conversion time for a full 8gb dvd would be 40mins (using 2 pass for better quality) on dual core x64,8gb ram.Animated vids take less time to do.Should be even faster if using x264 encoder assuming your car player can play it,if not you'll need to change encoder to mpeg-4 not to be confused with mp4 which is merely the container

you have the vu receiver & it's user manual that'll tell you what it can do regarding onboard conversion

Most probably wrong place to ask for SAT on a vehicle you'd need more specialized info for
    that,tho from where i sit i thought the dish had to be pointed in the right direction & towards a SAT a vehicle tends to turn & pass under bridges & pass tall buildings etc

3. ame_soner

ame_soner Newbie

Hello,

Any forum moderator can move my message to the appropriate place if here is irrelevant.

Hello ScorpNZ.

Could you please know that there are many colleagues wait for a resolution I have been experiencing and shared here.

Thanks a lot for your feedback.

Let me rephrase my issue:

I don't want to convert anything manually from *.ts which is satellite receiver native video format to *.mp4 which is apple tv mpeg-4 movie format.

I am looking for a way to do this automatically without my proactive dedication to the process if nobody knows how to produce a tv recording file which is fully compatible with my car multimedia player.

-My car multimedia resolution is 640x480 and *.mp4 which is apple tv mpeg-4 movie format.

-My vu+ ultimo enigma2 satellite receiver records TV broadcasts in HD (1080p/1080i)/HD ready(720)/SD in *.ts format.

Could you please consider that I don't have any powerful PC in my house. I have just android phones, apple touch 4/5, nexus 7 tablets, android tv box an a laptop which is not very powerful to be dedicated to the conversion.

1-) There should be a way to change the *.ts format in satellite receiver??? I can understand that the compression conversion will duplicate/quadruplicate the 1TB native internal hard drive capacity however it will require much more cpu capacity to this process.

2-) There should be a small program/plugin converts a *.ts file to *.mp4 one in the satellite receiver. Because enigma2 receivers are very like linux machines. There should be command line scripts to do this conversion???

3-) There should be small/portable device can be connected to car multimedia and satellite receiver in order to be used as "playing" device in the car. My multimedia system rear seat monitors have already HDMI ports. I've tested to connect my mobile phone (S3) over MHL converter successfully. E.g. Is there any portable device can play *.ts files directly (unfortunately my s3 is not one of them either) ?

Let's assume that apple ipad can play these files. If I buy a seagate external drive with native wifi access capability, I can dump/sync all my *.ts files in the receiver and then I can access all the *.ts files in the seagate while on the go.

PS: Please remember that new TV models include native android operation systems have already been integrated to the TV. This feature addition has been killing the small android box market. New TV models also include native TV tuners which have been killing small form factor TV boxes market. Similarly new car models like TESLA has included ipad on the front dash board. No need for additional multimedia system in the car.

4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

The issue you face in the receiver converting to another format is a complete re-write of the software that controls it.The makers of the receiver have decided ts is the format that they want used so that's all it produces.There's a lot more to creating other formats than scripts,it requires dedicated encoders for that specific hardware & an OS to run it

It seems to me you need another receiver that creates the playable formats you require

Mez likes this.
  5. ame_soner

ame_soner Newbie

Hello,

Do you know any enigma2 operating system based satellite receiver model which is good at creating recording files in the playable formats e.g. divx/mp4 instead of *.ts ? Because I've never heard.

One of my friends mentioned yesterday that he was using plex server on his apple mini which has direct speedy access to his NAS.

Basically he has access to the videos on the NAS from his ipad (plex ios client), nexus (plex android client), android phones (plex android client) even though these devices are offline (requires additional plex license fee of course) should use "plex". Plex has an optional feature (requires additional fee) does the transcoding automatically on the plex cloud servers for us depending on the types of clients we have.

The thing that I have to learn if there is any plex server plugin compatible with vu+ latest VTI image on enigma2 or not? Plex doesn't mention enigma support either however it mentions that it works very well on linux systems in addition to android and MS operating systems either server/client.

At least I believe that I can install windows plex server on my old laptop which has access to receiver over samba and wifi. Then I believe I will have access to all the video in the proper format without any conversion done by myself.

I can't think of any other resolution to that.

Thanks,

6. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Apparently plex is based on kodi which was originally called xbmc (xbox media centre).
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plex_(software)

You'd most probably have to pay to transcode if you want to stream since the devices you have are limited in what format they read.

You'll have to weigh up this ongoing cost as well as how often you'd use it vs buying a desktop pc to manually transcode into playable formats,which can then be streamed (house to house or building) anywhere you want with either free software like kodi or carried on a portable drive .

You don't need the latest & greatest pc,any from 09 onwards that's dual core would suffice,preferably with win 7 64bit & 4gb ram.

I would suggest before paying a sub to plex or any other site,try those ts files on your mates plex server & see what the performance is like,keep in mind any subscription can be cancelled at anytime if the company goes bust

This is about as far as i can go in advice since i don't use plex or do any streaming,simply because i transcode all movies of most formats except avi to mkv for use on my comp direct to tv.

7. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

I believe conversion on pc is only option, I have a dreambox 800hd (enigma 2) and the only way i can rip stuff off hd from ts to which ever file I want is conversion, don't believe there is such a plugin to convert it for you as scorp says ts is native to the box, I could be wrong but i have never found a way around it, Would be neat if you could, but converting doesn't take long. If you find a way around it can you please post your findings. Good luck

8. Nepheler

Nepheler Member

Handbrake is most recommended as a freeware.

9. Mez

Mez Active member

Just a social comment since this topic is long gone...

I am always surprised to see someone with a long list of requirements making their solution super rare (less than 1 in a thousand) and expect a free solution. Most of the public takes the time to convert their audio and videos to a common format (mp3, mp4, DVD) so they can be played on a wide variety of devices. This is smart since the user picks the tools to do the conversion. Doing it through a device is asking for trouble. Conversions usually lose fidelity etc. I have heard way too many serious artifacts in my audio collection not to underestimate how easily you can ruin your media through a conversion. More than 1% of my audio I didn't convert is ruined probably from a poorly managed conversion. You should use the best tools and read the manual so you use the right settings. That is the only to avoid screw ups. You can even do lossless to lossy with little to no loss of fidelity.

BTW Handbreak is great when converting HD to small screen videos but the fidelity loss is massive. That is fine for a small screen but I use a bigger screen in the car. We use DVDs played on a portable DVD player that plugs into the car. Those screens an be quite generous.

I don't blame anyone asking for the moon. Who knows, they might get lucky.

10. ivymike

ivymike Regular member

MKV2VOB can also convert .ts or .m2ts files to VOB format which is playable on most home theater systems.......