1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wait for USB 3.0 or go w/ WD HD TV Live.

Discussion in 'Media tanks' started by mike.m, Apr 19, 2010.

1. mike.m

mike.m Regular member

Should I wait for companies to release USB 3.0 media players + USB 3.0 portable HDD, or do you think USB 2.0 on the WD HD TV Live is good enough?

I want something that will play uncompressed 1080p (blu-ray) audio/video flawlessly without hickups, maybe it's best to wait for USB 3.0 for this?

Any suggestions appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. MilesAhed

MilesAhed Regular member

I have WD HDTV for USB Gen1 player. Not the Live. I'm hoping they come out with USB 3.0 support soon. Right now I have USB 3.0 docks on my PC and a USB 2.0 dock hooked to the player. It's easier than using an external USB drive since I can just plug in a bare Sata drive rather than unplugging the external USB and power.

I do think the limited USB 2.0 throughput does hurt playback. I can play very large, as in over 30 GB .m2ts files, but if I FF or jump ahead 10 minutes the audio and/or subtitles are likely to go out of sync. And trying to FF at something like 16x you are asking to hang the unit. You have to cycle the power to get going again. I don't know whether to advise you to wait since I have no idea how long USB 3.0 will be in coming for WD players.

It's a coin flip. If you can find a bargain on a WD player then I'd probably go for it. It can play HD divx/avi files, mkv,m2ts etc. Not the greatest subtitle support. To know for sure it's going to work you really need to supply an external .srt file with the same base name as the movie. But all in all I like the player.