1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WAnt an LCD TV

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by esrever, Dec 10, 2005.

1. esrever

esrever Regular member

I'm looking for an HDTV. Im not exactly sure which one to get as far as (plasma, DLP, or LCD). Its primarily going to be used for xbox360/ps3 gaming, so I want it to be at least 42 inches. Im quite ignorant when it comes to this kind of thing, so I set out here on afterdawn for you guys' advice. Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2005
  2. c2sellit1

c2sellit1 Regular member

Prices are crashing down on HD sets and it is a tough decision...The best picture I think still lies within CRT but the size and weight is a huge factor for a lot of people...Although Plasma and LCD and DLP are really coming along...It all comes down to personal preference at the moment I think...I've seen a lot of crappy ass plasmas on display and a lot of crappy ass LCD but then again I have seen some rather magnificent ones...

You may want to wait until say summer time before you go jumping in, supposedly 42" plasmas are supposed to drop below a grand w/ HD capabilities as well as LCD....

Personally, Id tell you to stay away from LCD/Plasma but they have came a long way and are superior to televisions that have been out for ages....

Any will do you fine just make sure it has a good contrast ratio and is either 1080i...Or you could wait it out for 1080p in the near future...

3. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Personally, I don't think Plasma's come close to LCD but unless you've got the bucks, you'll pay around $6,000-7,000 for a 42" LCD unless you go rear projection. I'm not into games so I have no two cents to offer there but I do know that LCDs don't have the same burn in problems; I've read (but don't know) that can be a problem with gamers.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2005
  4. c2sellit1

c2sellit1 Regular member

Also make sure it is 16ms or less when it comes to response time...Most 30" under lcds usually are around 16ms while 32" and larger run about 6-8ms....Lower response time better, no ghosting but most problems are fixed anyhow and I think each set is about equal and it comes down to personal preference. But make sure what you buy has a dvi/hdmi inputs and the resolution is good.

5. diabolos

diabolos Guest

The only true difference worth considering in the LCD vs Plasma debate these days is resolution. As long as we are talking about good quality LCDs and Plasma screens there shouldn't be any real differences in terms of picture quality, durability, or life-time (once the set(s) are configured properly).

You can get a 1080p LCD at half the size (and price) of a 1080p Plasma screen. If you have read my posts in previous threads you probably know how much I preffer Plasma to LCD. But all of my reasons are subjective.

Ced