1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

want to backup vcd to dvd

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by dmbfan, Jun 2, 2004.

1. dmbfan

dmbfan Guest

hi! i was just wondering if there was any possible way of backing up a vcd to a dvd? please include all software i woudl need if this is at all possible

thanks

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

This is Simple and it can be done without re-encodeing the Video.....
    All you need to do is first Rip the "AVSEQ01.DAT" file off of the VCD and then rename the File to a file with a ".mpg" extention.....
    Then you can use Tmpgenc"s "Mpeg Tools" to "De-Multiplex" the .mpg file into seperate audio and Video files....
    Then you use Tmpgenc to convert the Audio file to an audio file at 48000hz.....
    After the Audio has been converted to 48000hz you just use a DVD authoring program like "Tmpgenc DVD author" to author the Mpeg Video and Mpeg audio files to DVD......

Easy as Pie....Cheers

3. dmbfan

dmbfan Guest

thanks for oyur help! i forgot to mention that they are on 3 cd's. can it still be done so it fits on one dvd?

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

Yes, of cource you can Put 3 VCD"s on a single DVD, You can fit 6 VCD Disks on a Single DVD..
    (6 X 700mb=4.2gb)
    It would be a Good idea to Join all 3 VCD Mpeg files into one File useing a Mpeg editor like "Mpeg-VCR" and after joining them into one File then you can demultiplex the File into seperate Audio and video files so you can convert the audio into Mpeg1 Layer 2 audio at 48000hz.....

Cheers

5. daoboy

daoboy Guest

Just the guide I needed Minion. I plucked out the two .dat files from two VCDs and renamed it as .mpg files. The two files totaled 1.37Gb. So now the question is where do I get the appropriate mpeg editor so I can join the two files and process it using TMPGEnc. for eventual burning to a single DVD disc.

6. shiroh

shiroh Guest

tmpgenc can do that too in the mpeg tools. check the results first.

7. Minion

Minion Senior member

In Tmpgenc if you go to "File" to "Mpeg tools" to "Merge & Cut" and Load in Part one and then Part two and give the output file a Name and then click "Run" then it will Join the 2 Files into one file but after it has made the New Joined File check that the second Half is still in sync because Tmpgenc sometimes makes files go out of sync when Joining....

After Joining you go to the "Mpeg tools" to "Simple De-Multiplex" and load in the Joined File and it will seperate the File into seperate audio and Video Files(.M1V is Video and .MPA or .MP2 is Audio)
    Now Just use Tmpgenc to Encode the audio file to a Mpeg1 Layer 2 audio file at 48000hz and after that is done you can author the .M1V video file and the Resampled audio file to DVD useing something like "Tmpgenc DVD author"......Cheers

8. CCEncoder

CCEncoder Regular member

If you prefer to use a better Encoder like the Cinema Craft Encoder SP 2.5! I have it.

9. Minion

Minion Senior member

CCEncoder: You don"t need a Mpeg encoder to Put VCD"s on DVD-R...

10. chauey

chauey Guest

I've tried the above method but it doesn't work as when i use TMPGEnc DVD to write, it keeps saying there is no VIDEO_TS. So I can not burn my vcds on a dvd disc. Pls advise

11. Minion

Minion Senior member

You are Not doing it Correctly then Because Tmpgenc DVD Author Creates the Video_TS Folder, so you have to Load your Video and Audio file into Tmpgenc DVD Author and then add your Chapters and Menu"s and then it will Make a Video_TS Folder out of the Files and burn it to DVD....

12. Villain

Villain Member

If you can get ahold of DVD Lab you should. Not only is it MUCH better than TMPG DVD Author with it's superior all purpose features, it's great for this very thing. Especially SVCD to DVD. You don't even need to Demultiplex files or convert audio as it will do these things for you. Simply add your mpg asset and DVD Lab will give you a warning then split the file for you. Once it's demultiplexed the file it will offer to convert non compliant audio to 48k. No TMPGEnc fiddling around or other applications. Also you can make much better menus from extremely simple to very complex motion menus. It's intuitive, super user friendly. No need to merge multiple mpg files either and you can link multiple mpg files in the project together for continous playback. There are tons of tools within like bitrate viewers and mpeg header fixing, and it'll burn your compiled projects as well. Heck, if you set it right you don't even need to convert the audio.

13. daoboy

daoboy Guest

Villain - I tried Minion's tip of June 8 and it worked fine for me and when I played back the resultant DVD everything was synchonized (video and audio). The VCDs that I was trying to convert to a single DVD disc was actually a movie that consisted of two VCD discs. I gather you have a better method by using "DVD Lab" ? Where do we get this?

14. Minion

Minion Senior member

DVD Lab doesn"t Support Mpeg1 files so you can"t use it to Put VCD on DVD, If It could I would have recomended it because DVD-Lab is a Better Program than Tmpgenc DVD Author....

15. Villain

Villain Member

I stand corrected. It's hard to believe.

I did try a Mpeg1 extracted with VCDGear and it told me that it couldn't open the file. I demuxed and remuxed the PS and it then loaded and begain to separating to ES without any problems. But when I linked first play to the movie the program crashed ;) I can't believe it doesn't support mpeg1. I am guessing that it's a bug? As I can't seem to find information on their site suggesting that they don't support it?

16. Minion

Minion Senior member

The DVD Lab Pro version supports Mpeg1 files but not the regular DVD-Lab version...Even if you can get DVD-Lab to author the Mpeg1 file to DVD all you will see is a Green screen....This should be fixed in the next version.....

17. WilliamIV

WilliamIV Member

I used TMPGENc Author to successfully transfer one 1hour vcd to a DVD+R disc. I was able to play it on my stand alone DVD player. I want to add more 1 hour vcds to the disc but I get an error message saying that I cannot add to the whole disc.

Using Roxio and Nero its possible to create mulitple sessions and go back and add tracks if you don't close out the disc after burning a track. Is there a function on TMPGENc Author that will allow this?

18. chauey

chauey Guest

Can any show me step by step how to transfer the vcd to dvd by using TMPGEnc pls. As I keep getting the msg of missing Video_TS.

Many thanks!!
    C

19. Minion

Minion Senior member

You can not Make Multi-Session DVD Video Disks, and even if you could your DVD Player wouldn"t be able to read them..You should author all of the VCD Files at once to the DVD, you should be able to fit 3 or 4 Full movies on a single DVD.....

chauey: How are you useing Tmpgenc DVD author to Author the VCD"s to DVD??? Are you adding Menu"s and Chapters to your VCD"s and Converting them into a Video_TS folder?? The Video_TS folder that you say is Missing Must Be created By Tmpgenc DVD author you don"t Use Tmpgemc DVD author To Burn the VCD Files to DVD you Use Tmpgenc DVD Author to Add Menu"s and Chapters to your VCD Files and then It will Create a Video_TS folder out of the VCD Files then you can Burn the Video_TS to DVD-R useing either DVD author or something Like Nero...I don"t Have Tmpgenc DVD Author Installed and I don"t use it because it is a Little Too "Mickey Mouse" for me so i can not give you a Step by Step on how to do it.....

Cheers

20. WilliamIV

WilliamIV Member

One guide I found said that you should use "sampling frequency 48000 HZ in converting sound files using TMPGENc. I found that all the tracks I burned to DVD using that frequency had no sound track at all. The ones I burned at 44100 had the sound track intact and of good quality.

Fortunately I am now using DVD+RW for all my testing as I don't need any more coasters :)