1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

want to backup vcd to dvd

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by dmbfan, Jun 2, 2004.

1. WilliamIV

WilliamIV Member

I burned appx nine hours of tv shows to a DVD using TMPGENc DVD Author. Everything was recorded perfectly including the menu which works.

However I cannot view them on the computer very well because the image is squeezed to half a frame. On a stand-alone DVD player the picture is normal full frame. I tried some adjustments to the various players I have including windows media player but I could not change the image to full screen.

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

You don"t use Media Player to view DVD"s or Mpeg2 files because it will allways display the Image Incorrectly because it ignores Aspect ratio Flags so you should be useing a software DVD Player like WinDVD or PowerDVD to get a true representation of how the Video will look on your TV Set....Cheers

3. chauey

chauey Guest

Do you know any media player can be display lyrics along while playing the song.

Many thanks :)

4. chauey

chauey Guest

Does any one know how how to fix this problem?? I always have problem burning my backup DVDs in speed x4. But if I burn in speed x 2 its fine. Someone told me it's got to do with firmware & I need to download to update it. Is this correct?? Pls advise.

Many thanks!

5. chrisfox

chrisfox Member

chauey

I think its down to the tech of DVDrs atm, it should improve, for some reason 4x+ burning isnt liked very much.

I have my own problem too, i cant seem to get svcd to dvd to work? It'll play all the way threw to the 50-75% of the film then stops. I'd think it would be a problem when merging the 2 .mpgs is it?
    This is the guide i used.

hxxp://ness888.users.btopenworld.com/fromvcd2dvd.htm

6. Vegetto

Vegetto Member

Ok heres what you do you take your vcd's put them in your cd drive and go into the file called mpegav file their should be files called AVSEQ01.DAT AVSEQ02.DAT etc make a folder on your desktop and call it mpeg files and copy and paste them in that folder once your done collecting all your mpeg files, I think you can fit approxtmaitly 6 vcds on one dvd. So do your own judgement on this. Now its time to convert it to dvd. Use TMPGEnc its one of the best converters!Then you Use tmpegenc converter gadgets to convert the audio and video into seperate files, Why are you doing this you may ask because you need to change the audio file to dvd standards, then when you are done with that use The wizard for Tmpgenc and choose Dvd author and put in the video file and the newly converted audio file and convert it

7. WilliamIV

WilliamIV Member

T
    This is not necessary at all. I just used TMPEnc to create and output folder with VIDEO_TS file inside and directly from the dat file burn the dat file as it was to a disc. I wasted a lot of time splitting the video and the sound files and converting the sound file to 48000. At 48000 there is no sound at all. I burned the DVD to disc using TMPGENc Author and it plays on the computer and a stand-alone DVD player with good sound and image.

8. Minion

Minion Senior member

Tmpgenc DVD author Does the Audio Resampleing for you when formating the Files to the Video_TS Folder but It also decompressed the audio to LPCM which take up a Lot of Room...No DVD authoring Program will Make a DVD with 44100hz audio because it is not DVD Compliant....

9. WilliamIV

WilliamIV Member

Then I just made history for I did just that twice today! :)

10. zerox1

zerox1 Member

william IV

I have to ask you.

HOW DID YOU DO IT??

HOW DID YOU PUT 9 HOURS OF VIDEO ON A DVDR???

sorry for the caps , but Ive been tryng 2 months now
    I just cant get it to work,

tmpgenc & the author ver. &nero 5

All I want to do is make a dvd 6 hours,

from vcd ,first I have vcd errors then ,gop errors ,
    now I cant seem to get the dvdr to work.

I followed all the faqs from diffrent people.

I don't know what is wrong?????????

I have over 300 vcds already ,
    dvds are going cheap now ,so I thaught this'll be easy.

it aint.

11. Minion

Minion Senior member

You can get at least 6 hours on a DVD useing the SIF DVD Standard....
    If you encode your source files to Mpeg 1 (or Mpeg 2 is even better) at 352+240 NTSC or 352+288 for Pal and use a Video bitrate of 1500kbs and an audio Bitrate of 192kbs at 48000hz then you will be able to exactly fit 6 hours on a DVD...
    I personally wouldn"t want to put 9 hours on a DVD because the Quality would be pretty low but at 6 hours on a DVD the quality will be Better than VCD quality....
    If you need any more help let me know...Cheers

12. zerox1

zerox1 Member

ok , cool , thanks.

what encoder would you suggest.

someone refered cinema craft,

but never could find it.at least the one i was refered to.

besides i think you need .net framework

i am downloading it now.

but I wouldn't know what else.
    thanks

13. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well CinemaCraft Encoder Basic will overlay a logo over the Video when in Demo mode but it only costs $58, and CinemaCraft Encoder SP will also overlay a Logo or watermark over the Video in Demo mode and the Full version costs $2000 plus these encoders do not have a Resize filter so you can resize the Resolution to 352+240/288-Pal so you would have to use a Frameserver to resive the resolution which is a bit complicated if you have never done it before...
    You can simply use Tmpgenc ,It is a Lot slower but the quality is good...
    Set it up to encode your File to Mpeg2 at 352+240 NTSC 352+288 For Pal and set the audio format to Mpeg1 Layer 2 at 192kbs at 48000hz and set the Video bitrate to 1500kbs and set the "Motion Search precition" to "High Quality" and this will allow you to get just about exactly 6 hours on a Single DVD or anywere from 3 long 2 hour movies or 4 short 90 minute movies...
    The encodeing should be about 3 or 4 times as fast as when encodeing to the standard DVD Resolution....

Cheers

14. WilliamIV

WilliamIV Member

Or you can just use DVD Shrink, set it on automatic and it commpresses about 60 percent.

15. Minion

Minion Senior member

You can use 44100hz audio but the DVD Authoring Program will resample it before authoring to DVD so in Reality you aren"t makeing a DVD with 44100hz audio....

And you can"t use DVD Shrink to encode Files to the Sif DVD Format because DVD Shrink doesn"t have a resize filter and you can"t put 6 hours on a DVD useing the Standard DVD Resolution with any sort of Quality ...

16. zerox1

zerox1 Member

ok then How would you put at least4-6 hours of vcd video on a dvd???

17. WilliamIV

WilliamIV Member

Yes, I realized that when I did some reading but I can't get any sound that way. I posted the below on another after dawn thread "Common TMPGENc Problems" but no replies as yet.
    Sorry my mistake I was talking about copying DVDs not VCDs with Shrink,

Last edited: Jul 4, 2004
  18. zerox1

zerox1 Member

hmm .

well thats a streight answer.
    encode from the dat source.

I'll try it.

thanks.

19. debster73

debster73 Guest

hi I'm new to the downloading and burning scene. I have this movie file I downlaoded , trying to put on 1 dvd I think I need a demultiplexer, the extension on the file is .r so everything i am trying to use is not working. any ideas on getting the files combined to play on 1 dvd would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks

20. jester48

jester48 Member

My vcd's appear to be the wrong resolution, but they play fine in my dvd player... It just won't let me convert to VIDEO_TS folder in TMPGEnc DVD Author because it says the resolution is not correct.