1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want to create dvd with menus included....

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by johnstar, Oct 13, 2007.

1. johnstar

johnstar Member

Hello all,

I'm sure this question has been asked before but im trying to convert numerous avi/divx files onto a dvd that will include a menu so that it would be possible to select the third or fourth episode without having to skip through to the required point.

At the moment im using Apollodivx to DVD which is fantastic and ever reliable but it does lack the option of having a personalised menu. I did recently purchase Xilisoft AVI to DVD Converter and i converted 3 fair sized avi files and although it had a menu once created the quality was very choppy and the picture and sound werent in sync so im looking for any suggesions from everyone as to which is the best program to use to include menus and a decent conversion time.

Many Thanks

Johnstar

2. billybob

billybob Regular member

Heyyyy there Johnstar.

How are you finding things here at Afterdawn?

Well, i think i have the perfect solution.

Nerovision.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_capture_tools/nerovision_express.cfm

I have used this program for exactly what you just described, you can make your own menu, personalize it by adding you own background, naming each video on it. I used it to burn my favourite tv episodes to dvd, and i could jump to each episode :)

p.s

Aha, i THINK that there may be a newer version, perhaps in buying Nero 7, you get somethign similar to nerovision included. Just google it mate, have a look around, look on the nero website and look at nero 7 :D Download the free trial for Nero 7 and see if that suits your needs.

3. Phlax

Phlax Guest

Nero Vision 4 (Vision and Express in one I think) is the version that comes with Nero 7. There's a guide for that here...
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/272946

BTW, stay away from anything Nero 8 related, you'll most likely have more problems atm than it is worth to you.

4. billybob

billybob Regular member

Thanks for clearing that up phlax, its just i never really got into using Nero 7, i just stuck with the old versions of nerovision.

Bad habit really :D

5. Phlax

Phlax Guest

I'm still on Nero 6.0.0.18 << Works a charm; I can't be bothered to update :)

6. billybob

billybob Regular member

Yep. There was one version that i remember gwendolin gave me some warning about because there were bugs with it. It was a wierd version anyway, like, a random update.

7. johnstar

johnstar Member

Well first of all Billy, i love the afterdawn forums and the site in general as people are always quick to offer support and advice which is fantastic.

Secondly i looked into the nero vision and i must admit it looks fantastic....

As i would have maybe six or seven tv episodes to put onto 1 DVD im a bit wary of which bit rate to convert at...as you have "super long play" long play and so on....So if i was to use the super long play or long play options, would that severely reduce the quality of the divx/avi files or is this still a very good conversion?

Many thanks for your response

8. billybob

billybob Regular member

How big are these .avi files?

9. johnstar

johnstar Member

Well at present i want to put 6 avi files of 185mb onto a DVD in the best quality possible.

Generally i tend to try and fit 4 avi files of 350mb onto a DVD but now ive realised that it would be so much better with menus so im hoping Nero will work a treat, so im going to try it now.

Thanks again

10. billybob

billybob Regular member

No problem, make sure you post again to let me know how u get on :)

11. johnstar

johnstar Member

Right....

Ive tried 3 or 4 times to create my dvd with integrated menus and my computer shut itself down 3 times and on the 4th attempt i almost lost my hard drive....

The problem with Nero is that it takes such a long time (approx 5-6 hours) to create one DVD that it takes an awful lot of processing power and so much so that it must have caused my laptop to overheat and cut out.

Im using a powerful Fujitsu Siemens AMD Athlon PC which can handle most things, however i think Nero isnt an option for me which is a shame because it has everything you need to create a perfect DVD.

I wonder if anyone else has had this problem before?

Thanks

12. billybob

billybob Regular member

Honeslty mate...thats really strange, ive never had that problem before. Especially not 5-6 hours for one dvd!!

SOmethings wrong there.

What speed are you burning at?

13. Phlax

Phlax Guest

Post your log here for us to look at.

14. billybob

billybob Regular member

Phlax, i dont think he got an error log, cause his computer just shut down.

And if he did....hes lost his harddrive anyway...

15. johnstar

johnstar Member

Thats right i didnt get any log as it just suddenly shut down after around 2 hours or so....

I did notice the PC was very warm but i wasnt using any other programs so its a bit of a strange one, but for now i'll play it safe and stick to Apollo Divx to DVD unless i come across another program that will convert in the same way.

To be honest in my experience of buring several hundred DVD's, when its full capacity 4.3GB it always takes a minimum of 2 hours and on average 3 hours using Apollo so with menu's included i would be very surprised if it converted in under 3 hours.