1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want to do full restore on my dell inspiron 1100

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by orngcrsh, Jan 3, 2006.

1. orngcrsh

orngcrsh Regular member

The disks my computer came with...
    Dell Installers (seems to be drivers for the graphics card and other stuff)
    Dark red- Operting System (XP sp1A)
    Blue- Application- for reinstalling dell tools and system software

Should i format the HD then reinstall Windows XP?
    My goal is to get it back to factory settings.
    Please help.
    Thanks

2. SypherTek

SypherTek Guest

you could do a system restore back to the date the computer was bought this way evrything will as it was originally but you get to keep all your files.

if you want to a complete fresh install just put the windows cd in the cd drive when your booting the computer, it gives you the option to format before setup.

3. orngcrsh

orngcrsh Regular member

now for some reason, every time i try system restore, it doesn't work. it gives me a message that says something about it being unsuccessfull. any ideas?

the reason i want to do a restore is i got W32/sasser.worm on it in september, a friend of mine from best buy fixed it. it ran fine for a while then started acting funny (getting VERY slow ((that turned out to be the cd drive)), turning off out of nowhere)
    i have sophos antivirus on it and i dont think that was stopping everything. there may be something on it now, but i cant get it to stay on long enough to run a scan or find anything in it.

if i re-format and reinstall windows, should that take away anything that may be on it?

4. SypherTek

SypherTek Guest

it did that to me. the only way to actually fix it is with a fresh reinstall

as for sophos antivirus... well ive never heard of it so its probably no good lol

if you do a fresh install everything on your pc will completely wiped off including all files and programs that you have so back up your installers and files onto an external drive or some cds or dvds before you attempt it

5. orngcrsh

orngcrsh Regular member

cooool, thanks, i'll give it a try.
    well, looks like im spending all night installing windown and xp2 lol.

by the way... im so glad i found this forum!!
    thanks for the help!

6. orngcrsh

orngcrsh Regular member

sophos actually has better ratings than most according to virus bulleton... check it out.
    my computer also keeps giving me this message that has a file name and after it it say "bad image" whenever its either starting up or opening a program.

7. SypherTek

SypherTek Guest

any time :p