1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

want to install another rw drive

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by chewbkka, May 17, 2011.

1. chewbkka

chewbkka Regular member

I want to put another rw drive in my asus cm- 1630 but it only takes sata connections. the drive I want to put in is a dvd rom with the wide connections in the back. unless i want to spend the money to buy a sata drive with the cable(not included) is there an adapter that will bridge the two connections inside the tower. thanks for all the help

2. NteStlKr

NteStlKr Member

no

but for the power supply (which is also different) there is an adapter that goes from the old standard to the sata 'flat' style (whatever it is called). If your power supply is too old to have the sata power connectors you can get one of those... but unless you built the computer and mixed and matched standards, then the power supply should have sata power connectors since the mobo has sata data connectors.

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  3. chewbkka

chewbkka Regular member

thanks for the help. i bought a inexpensive asus drive(why, i dont know) and I figure out myself how to open the front panel( since Asus sucks with manual and help) and install it. I also had to buy a pack of sata cables. so far it is working but thanks for all the help.

4. TreePro

TreePro Regular member

Actually there is an adapter to convert both ways SATA to IDE or Ide to SATA can connect to drive or motherboard. Here's one........

http://www.buy.com/prod/sata-to-ide...er/q/sellerid/29345858/loc/101/216778540.html

5. chewbkka

chewbkka Regular member

thanks for the suggestion but the review on the product isn't great. so far the second rw is working well all I need is 2 extra little screws to really mount it. why don't they ever send extra screws for mounting and where do you buy them. another quest. thanks

6. TreePro

TreePro Regular member

A lot of cases has spare screws somewhere screwed into the case, usually under front cover. If not any electronic supply will have them. Also Home Depot, Lowes any hardware store. I believe they are M3-6mm, keep them short, no long screws. I have never had to buy any with all the junk computers I keep around.
    As for adapter I have never tried it, just offered suggestion they are available. Google will give you more choices. As for reviews I take them with a grain of salt. I have bought stuff with bad reviews and they worked great and then good reviews wasn't always that good also.

7. NteStlKr

NteStlKr Member

^^^ yes, most computers have extra screws, and yeah, they're usually behind the front cover.

office depot, best buy, and places like that also sell them. I actually got a pack from there once, of the thumb-screw type. They were very expensive for screws, a buck apiece, but I like them. :) Also, you probably bought that drive from newegg... and most of what they sell is "bare drive" products, not "retail." The difference is what is included with the drive (screws, SATA cables, manuals, and so forth). Bare drives are for people who, for whatever reason, do not need or want that other stuff, so prefer not to waste money on it.

And I stand corrected on the adapter. Thanks for the info and link. I will say, though, that I strongly recommend against such an adapter. It is a loose adapter, and will likely lead to poor connections. It will also have a high risk of shorting or otherwise malfunctioning. If you wanted to hook up that particular drive that much, I recommend getting a PCI card with IDE (ATA/PATA). That is the correct way to do it. ;)

But the best option is to do what you did, IMO. Just get a SATA drive and sata cables. Since you would just about pay that much in adapters just to get the other one to work. Now you can sell the other one on craigslist or something. I've never had any bad luck with 'cheap' drives, regardless of brand. 'Cheap' asus drives are my favorite, though. A disc successfully burned is a disc successfully burned. The same goes for reading them.

To maximize lifespan of drives, always burn at slower speeds, preferably 4x or less.

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  8. chewbkka

chewbkka Regular member

thanks for help I will check Lowes. I ask at Best buy and they let me look at their screw box. but I bought this from tiger direct. the dvd rw is Asus DRW-24B1ST 24X Internal DVD Burner - DVD±R 24X, DVD+RW 8X, DVD-RW 6X, DVD±R (DL) 12X, DVD-RAM 12X, CD-R 48X, CD-RW 32X, SATA, 2MB, Black, OEM cost me 22 bucks. speed at 5400rpm but it will do the job. thanks for the help. asus never had the help. it is a shame their tower is not bad.

9. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

pci sata card would be the cheapest and most hassle free method I think.. £6 from Changzhou.. as ALL 360 flashers know.. or should ;)