1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want to record from hdmi out on dish dvr

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by jerecho, Sep 11, 2012.

1. jerecho

jerecho Regular member

I have a dish dvr and would like to be able to record what is on the dvr to a hard drive in my pc so I can edit out all of the commercials and basiclly have an entire season of certain tv shows. I have googled and googled but can't find a way to extract any of the saved content on my dish dvr to say maybe an .mp4 file. So with that option out is there a piece of hardware I can install in my computer that will allow me to put the hdmi cable from the dish drv into my computer and then record the feed in real time?
    Then after the show is over I can save the video and then edit it however I want. I want to be able to keep the HD quality if possible too.

2. mrslicker

mrslicker Regular member

O.K., A couple of Years back a university released an Open-Source HDCP encrypt/decrypt program in response to the leaked HDCP Master Key. This, in my opinion, your best bet for decoding the streams. There may be something else available by now. The LINK is here. I believe you will need linux.

Hardware selection is available Here @ NewEgg.

Look into soft-dvr programs (MythTV comes to mind)

So, I think it's possible, but I am making assumptions on old knowledge.

Also, I expect realtime decoding, if you can piece together a workable setup, would be *extremely* difficult.

Good Luck

3. jerecho

jerecho Regular member

Thank you for the advise. I think I'm just going to go the Tivo route. Sounds like doing this from Dish is too complicated for me!