1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want to start trying to burn again (unsuccessful before) - want to start cheap

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by ricorocco, Jan 20, 2005.

1. ricorocco

ricorocco Member

Previously (about 8 months ago) I was unsuccessful setting up my dvd burner and software (I used Nero and some other dvd copy program I bought at Best Buy - no it wasn't the more popular ones that are listed in these forums). Anyways, for some odd reason the burner just couldn't recognize the DVD-R in the drive and therefore wouldn't proceed burning the dvd movie I was trying to record. Out of frustration I ended up returning everything for a refund.

Now I'm thinking of trying it again but I want to go a bit [bold]cheaper[/bold] on the dvd burner (speed isn't important to me) and a recommended dvd copy software. I'm looking for a user-friendly easy to do with little problems to encounter solution.

Anyone that can help is much appreciated.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2005
  2. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

It seems to me that given your previous problems, going [bold]cheaper[/bold] on the dvd burner is the last thing you want to do.

OTOH, prices keep falling, so maybe a quality one now fits in your budget. How much are you willing to spend?

3. pro`noob

pro`noob Regular member

for the price you payed 8 months ago you can get a top of the range drive for cheaper now. and are you sure you were using the correct discs last time? maybe you had dvd+r discs in a dvd-r only drive, or (sorry if i make it sound like you dont know) maybe you used a cd-r

also it it better to use a well known burning program so you can easily get help if it wont work, nearly all dvd drives come with a popular burning program these days so you shouldnt have to go and spend more money on a seperate program

4. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

Another thought. Most dvd burners come with bundled software. Be picky, and look for one that has Nero bundled with it. For example, the Sony DRU710A can be had for under $100, and comes with Nero 6 bundled. That's a good burner and a great software pack bundled with it. Add the free dvd decrypter and dvd shrink and you're ready to go.

5. RedAnt

RedAnt Regular member

As bazilla stated DVD-/+RW drives are dirt cheap but look for one that comes with a good burning software package(Nero6,Record Now (Max or Dx))and save on the software expence.Check out DVD-/+RW from Pioneer,Lite-on,Sony and NEC(note they come OEM with out software).
    Also check out on-line stores like Newegg,Computer geeks and pricewatch.

P.s. do check out DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink like it was stated above they are freeware and are killer DVD Apps that most of us here use daily.
    Good luck.
    Redant Out.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2005
  6. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

I have a NEC 2510 in my other pc and it works great. I know alot of people say the NEC 3520 is a good drive. Is $64 at newegg.com right now.

7. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

i just setup my girls machine with a nec 3520 and anydvd + clonedvd2 and she never backed up a dvd in her life . she has zero problems . in my opinion clonedvd2 is one of the easiest programs to use . this whole setup , burner + software was a little over $100 .

8. ricorocco

ricorocco Member

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated.

At that time I did have a top of the line dvd burner (cost me $300 and it was an LG) and I did have the latest dvd copier that Best Buy Canada had (unfortunately Clonedvd, etc.) wasn't available yet in Canada and I haven't yet seen it hit the Best Buys as of this week. The dvd copier I had at that time had the latest Nero.

I bought dvd-r and the LG burner could read dvd-r as well as dvd-rw, etc. (like I said it was the latest). I also ran into the problem (and still have the problem) when it installed either the software for the dvd copier program or the when the installation of the burner took place. Now my dvd-rom that came with my computer can't read the dvd's when i put them in. I have to go through My Computer or explorer and look for the right file to launch the movie. XP told me to go do some steps to associate the dvd-rom with the proper file format (TCP or something) but I still can't get it to work. (which is why I turfed the dvd burning hobby coz I just got so pee'd off).

9. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Like others stated, you can get a top of the line 16x DL dvdrw packaged with nero 6 OEM these days for around $65-$70 US. You can download Dvd Decryptor and dvd shrink (both free) by looking under the software tab at the top of the page or just click on the blue text in these threads. In other words, just click on this dvd shrink to download it.

I edited this post so click on the blue text on a different post for the downloads.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2005
  10. Gringle

Gringle Guest

Cost is relative to knowledge.

A reasonable burner is needed.

likewise, good media.

The rest is 'a hang' about 'here' and learn.

regards, gringle.

(edit missed two comma's and a full stop)
    (same edit??)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2005