1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wanting To Install Xp On A Sony Vaio Laptop

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by timmle, Sep 16, 2008.

1. timmle

timmle Member

My friend wants xp installed on his laptop as he actually hates vista with a vengeance. I don't blame him.

Xp Installation doesn't recognise the sata hard drive and therefore will not complete obviously. The Sony Vaio website only has drivers for vista and absolutely none for xp, and i have been searching high and low for Windows Xp drivers with no luck whatsoever.

I am quite aware how to attach sata drivers etc with nlite to create my own bootable windows xp disk as i have done this before with a hp laptop with a sata drive, but that was relatively easily compared to this.

The graphics card for this laptop was very easy to get, but the sata hard drive i can not find the drivers for. I believe it's the actual chipset drivers i need but no luck there either as i need the actual /inf files to put in nlite.

I have the Sony Vaio VGN-FW11M laptop with the PM45 Express Intel Chipset and a Hitachi Travelstar HTS542525K9SA00 hard drive, a Opticarc BD ROM BC-5500A Usb Device as on opticval disk drive.

This is the link to the page which details what laptop i have, http://support.vaio.sony.eu/downloa...d.asp?site=voe_EN_GB_cons&c=0&s=VGN-FW&m=3341

Is there any easy way to do this or anyway that anybody knows about as this is really annoying me now, as i have done this before.

Thankyou.

2. LudaMe

LudaMe Member

that makes two of us :) ... i wanna know if anyone have a solution for this issue

3. timmle

timmle Member

After days of alot of hardwork with no reward i had to resort to installing Vista for my friend on this laptop, i just couldn't find a way to install xp on this laptop whatsoever, without changing the hardware in the laptop which just was not worth my or his time whatsoever.

So what i did is instead, using a program called Vlite stripped down Windows Vista to its barebone, took away all graphics and animations, all the fancy things that only retards care abaout along with all it's fancy pretend security measures and was left with a relatively clean fully functional (windows 2000 looking) operating laptop.

Because i had deleted all the drivers from the recovery hard drive, it took me a while to install all the vista drivers off the sony site and get them installed correctly as it's Bluetooth, Wireless, LAN smart network thing was a real pain in the ass, but got all of them to work, kinda, in the end.

4. LudaMe

LudaMe Member

i will work my head off in this weekend ... to see if i can get some drivers from the chipset ... because i think i can handle the sound card video wireless and the rest :). if i find a way i will let you know

5. Peshtigo

Peshtigo Regular member

My Dell 530 Desktop PC with Vista pre-installed runs like a million bucks. Not so much as a hiccup and I'm working and playing on it (e.g. now) 6 to 8 hours per day for going on two years.
    Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Good luck.

6. silk42

silk42 Regular member

7. LudaMe

LudaMe Member

thank you silk .. those driver works perfectly and now i have windows xp on sony vaio fw11m + fully installed drivers...

i will post tomorow the driver i used for recongnizing the HDD

8. Sefirot0

Sefirot0 Member

hello all!

LudaMe when you post about those hdd drivers, could you please explain how did you success installing xp and if you used any modified xp instalation cd or just a normal winxp cd?

i have a vaio fw11j(its almost the same as fw11m) and i'm kind of desperate, i've tried everything and failed installing xp on my laptop.

thank you in advance.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  9. LudaMe

LudaMe Member

what you need :

1. get nLite
    2. get drivers for your HDD, i used this, it should work for you too
    3. use nLite to create your windows CD with the drivers for HDD.
    -you will need 1 cd with windows XP
    -create a copy on your PC (copy paste the CD )
    -nLite will ask you for the directory of where you have windows XP
    -nLite will ask you then for what drivers you want to add ( here you put all the drivers found on that archive )
    -nLite will ask you if you want to add some more programs/drivers ( you can add if you want )
    -then he will ask you for an blank CD .. and he will write you the new copy of windows XP with the drivers you add on it :)
    4. create Recovery Disk for your FW11J (in case something goes wrong)
    5. reboot and install windows XP
    6. those drivers should work for you too; if not you simply search them by the chipset :)

Problems found with windows XP :
    1. can't use the vol-/+ play pause fast forward fast backward keys ...
    and no fn keys (but i'm working on it)
    2. no sony programs (some of them really usefull :) )

If you encounter any problems feel free to post ... i will respond in short time ( i hope :) ), sorry for my english i know it's bad. :)

10. Sefirot0

Sefirot0 Member

thats more or less exactly what i did but i used the intel drivers i found here : http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-list.pl?mdl=VGNFW100&SelectOS=7

i've tried with the ones you posted but it's still not working, well, not exactly, what happens its a bit strange af first it recognizes the hdd, but just after it's done formating the hard drive i get a message that shows that the cd can no longer be read and it advices to copy the installation files onto the hdd, but it makes no diference.

i think the problem must be in the controler i selected to add to the nlite xp iso:

[​IMG]

i've tried the ones with red lines on them, could you tell which one did you take?

thanks in advance

11. LudaMe

LudaMe Member

well i put all the drivers but this driver in particular works for my FW11M:ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI find out maybe it's another one for your HDD in particular ... you say FW11J ... i will look to see maybe i will find some info about this model

12. Sefirot0

Sefirot0 Member

i tried that one and didn't work, how did you put all of them? when i try to add more than one the program doesn't allow it

EDIT : i've just added all of them :p. i'm going to try i'll post in a few minutes how has it gone..

its not working :( even with the ones i mentioned before, i'm thinking about giving up, it looks that there isn't any working xp driver for my hdd.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  13. LudaMe

LudaMe Member

look what i found : 250 GB SATA-Festplatte 5400rpm

now i am searching for a driver :) will get to you soon ... tomorow i think ... when i am at work

14. Sefirot0

Sefirot0 Member

thank you very much!

i'll check tomorrow for your reply :)

EDIT: good news! i've just installed xp sp3 correctly :):) it looks the problem was on the xp sp2 i was using, now we can concentrate on making those Fn buttons work :p

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  15. LudaMe

LudaMe Member

this is good news :)

i v'got head-akes tryng to find another drivers :))

i should had told you that i use xp sp3 on my sony vaio ...

now focusing on the FN buttons :)

16. silk42

silk42 Regular member

I wish I had a Vaio so I could test some of this stuff out for you, but here's a link that may be helpful.

ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/PUB/OS/XPDOWNGRADE/

Unfortunately, I don't know if these files are for a specific model. If I run across anything else that might be helpful, I'll post it.

17. ulisessp

ulisessp Member

I'm thinking about buying this laptop, but i only work with XP, i need it. The question is..

what is the correct version of windows to use the 4gb of ram correctly?

windows xp sp2 64 bits? windows sp3? any problem i need to know before buying it? can i get all necesary drivers from the rapidshare link you posted or is any missing driver?

thanks!!

18. macho202

macho202 Member

19. oblutak

oblutak Member

I had the same problem, nLite did not ask for a blank CD to burn the new version of the Windows XP with the drivers needed to recognise the hard drive.

So I had to burn the CD myself.

The important thing is to make the new CD bootable.

Here is how to do that
    http://forums.techarena.in/operating-systems/1098805.htm

Do not forget to burn the image you got with nLite (when adding data in the end), that step is different.

20. vaioxp

vaioxp Member

I wanted to download the Win XP drivers from rapidshare, but they don't exist anymore. Is it possible to upload them again to rapidshare so I can download them?

Thanx!