1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Warning: buying from ShopDigitalCorp.com?

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by fibble, Apr 30, 2008.

1. fibble

fibble Member

Here is an important fact to keep in mind if you are considering buying from ShopDigitalCorp: they have lower prices because they are not an authorized dealer/reseller for the receivers they sell, which means their receivers are NOT covered by a manufacturer's warranty.

To make it worse, ShopDigitalCorp does not provide a warranty either. They have a 15-day return policy for unopened items only. In other words, if the receiver breaks after two weeks, you are screwed.

I could bore you with a detailed account of what happened to me, but I will just say that this company would rather give you the run-around than actually solve your problem. When you email, they tell you to call. When you call, no one answers. When you email to find out why, they tell you to call. It's an endless cycle until you give up.

I am sure they are not the only site out there doing this, so make sure you read the fine print before you send payment.

My advice: you get what you pay for - and these guys are living proof. Pay a little more somewhere else and get the treatment (and warranty) you deserve!

2. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

Good to know. Sorry about your troubles.

3. habush75

habush75 Guest

i purchased a denon 4308ci from shopdigitalcorp i saved $700 they did tell me they weren’t authorized dealers denon has a strict pricing policy and the only people to get the warranty is from a authorized dealer but those guys are $700 more I did pay $150 for a 3yr warranty from service center locally so at the end I got everything as advertised my receiver was brand new in the box I saved close to $700 and I have a 3yr warranty on my product so these guys should be praised 5 stars thank you

4. fibble

fibble Member

I think the average buyer assumes that at the very least a manufacturer's warranty comes with a brand new unit. Lower prices or not, ShopDigitalCorp should openly state the fact their receivers dont come with a warranty ... nor, in fact, any other way to seek remedy if the thing breaks down after two weeks.

It's great someone contacted you with that information. No one contacted me. So I guess it's up to the reader of this thread to determine whether he/she wants to deal with a company with that type of hit-and-miss customer service.

5. habush75

habush75 Guest

naturally assuming that it should come with a warranty but companies like denon who are black balling costumers to pay hundreds more i think the bad guys are these manufactures shopdigitalcorp.com saved me more then $500 and i got a better warranty and as a educated consumer i did my due diligence and called and asked about the warranty they told me upfront so i don’t think they anything wrong it the consumers responsibility due there research

6. fibble

fibble Member

Some interesting thoughts there, habush. Now for some actual information:

I did research the warranty offered by ShopDigitalCorp. It is provided by a company called RepairTech (repairtechinc.com). ShopDigitalCorp offers the warranty with the receiver for $182 (even though it only costs them $50). Even with the cost of the warranty, it is a better deal than buying from an authorized dealer.

Or is it?

I looked into the RepairTech warranty and read the fine print. The way it works is much like a car insurance company - they contract a local company to do the repairs, and then pay them. Of course, the repair company must be approved by them, and (here comes the sticky part) the repair company must be willing to accept the terms and payment from RepairTech.

This is where the problem lies.

I looked into the companies that RepairTech lists as authorized repair centers in my area. I live in Tucson Arizona, a fairly large city, so it shouldnt be a problem finding one, right? Wrong. Of the 7 companies they list in Tucson, 4 are no longer in business, 2 of them (Best Buy) will not work on anything you didnt buy from them or does not have a manufacturer's warranty, and the last company said they wont do work for RepairTech anymore.

So what is RepairTech's answer for that situation? I would have to box the receiver up and ship it to an authorized repair center of their choosing. Beside the obvious inconvenience of not having my receiver, I would also have to foot the shipping costs both to AND from the repair center. With a 35 pound receiver, that can get expensive.

Since you said you did your research, perhaps you can explain how you view this fiasco as better than a manufacturer's warranty. Although you did indicate that your information came from ShopDigitalCorp themselves, which might explain why you wouldnt have all the facts. You would have been better informed if you did your own research instead of believing what the seller is feeding you.

Not for nuthin', but the fact that your post to defend ShopDigitalCorp happened the same day I received a phone call from them offering me reduced prices if I would change my post seems to me ... well, rather suspicious. Could it be that you are employed by them?

7. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

Makes you wonder ??