1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Warranty not honored.

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by PennRon, May 3, 2004.

1. PennRon

PennRon Regular member

Hi:

I am in the market for a new receiver. I've decided on the Yamaha rx-v1400. Yamaha (denon and marantz to name a few others) will not honor their warranties unless you buy from an authorized dealer. I checked authorized dealer prices and the lowest for this receiver is $749. I can get the the next model up ( rx-v2400) for close to this price from online vendors like bestbuyplasma etc. does anyone have an opinion on this subject? Yamaha says that they won't honor the warranty because they do not know who the supplier is. I just dont understand why if you buy from a reputable (albeit not "authorized") vendor, what the reasoning is for not honoring the warranty!!

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Yeah, I hear that quite often, however i would still tend to go with the cheaper online one as you say. The reason being is that most of these companies will give a 1years manufacturing warranty with their products. It is up to them, not the manufacturer, to validate these warranties, and they will.

Say they have a problem with one of these products, a Pioneer, and Pioneer have told you that they do not validate the warranty from this company because they did not supply this company. The online retailer had to get the product from somewhere, so when there is a problem with the Pioneer, the online retailer will validate your warranty with themselves, and they will use their own supplier for exchange/repair. The fact of the matter is that their supplier could very well be a distributor of reseller for Pioneer and the warranty will be honoured directly.

My advice is to clarify the warranty situation with the online store before purchase and ascertain what they will do in the event of a problem that needs replacing/repair....

Chris

3. PennRon

PennRon Regular member

hey chris:

thanks for your input. It seems that the more and more I read on this subject the manufacturers reasoning has to do with serial number tampering. It states that on the Denon and Marantz homepages. Again this doesn't make sense to me maybe because I am not of the criminal mind. It would seem to me if a truck got hijacked and 1000 Yamaha receivers were stolen then Yamaha should be able to put those serial numbers in a stolen receiver database. Anyone selling these would be selling them for at least 50% less than retail and hopefully not online. So if you buy it you would know where you stand as far as warranty service. That I can understand. But if a reputable online store such as buy.com or ecost etc sells you the receiver I would be 99.9% sure that they are not selling stolen goods. Maybe its done on ebay to a certain extent, I don't know. So I think I will take your advice and go with the cheaper online service and will check out their warranty procedures. regards...

4. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Yeah, I think u can be sure u will be safe going with a good online retailer. Just as you say, do check their procedures on warranties.

What receiver/system are you looking at?

Chris

5. PennRon

PennRon Regular member

hi chris:

Here's the deal. I bgt Infinity satellite speakers about 10yrs ago with the Infinity Kappa center channel and Infinity Kappa 250 sub. I have polk satellites for the rear. I was running this with a Denon 110watt/channel pro logic receiver. Everything is 10 yrs old. I just moved to PA and was going to set this up in the basement but who knows when I'll finish the basement. In the meantime I bgt the Bose Lifestyle 35 for $2650 out the door. Money became an issue so I returned the Bose and figured I'll use my Infinity's and polk and buy a good 5.1 receiver. Don't want to go over $800. I settled on the Yamaha rx-v1400 mainly because its in my power and price range. I have had success with other Yamaha products. I dont have the inclination to pair a receiver with certain speakers. I'm not that fussy. I also like the way the Yamaha can tailor the sound to the listening area, similar to the Bose. I don't know if thats a marketing thing. I will be using it for home theater with some cd music playing. My room is 17x20 with 14 ft. cathedral ceiling and all open to the kitchen with a hardwood floor. I always loved the sound of this system with Pro Logic. I'm sure it will sound much better with DD 5.1 Any input would be appreciated...regards

6. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Cathedral ceiling and Hardwood floor makes for strange sounding speakers onless you put rugs down in front of them. Ah....but yours are mini speakers arent they. the Yamaha Receiver is excellent anyway for the price of it. A good solid system. I know the Boss system is of high quality, but if i had the choice to spend $2500 or so, i wouldnt have gotten it and im sure your glad u left it back.

With that money a Pioneer VSXAX5 and a set of Monitor Audio B6's, Centre and surrounds would be an amazing buy. Worth thinking about in the future, but as for now, your system sounds nice.

Best of luck with the warranty situation, im sure you will get it resolved. Unfortunately my Marantz SR5400 is having Audio Drop-outs - its the 3rd one ive gotten. :-(