1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Was my cd burned from MP3?

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by BurnBlues, Jul 20, 2007.

1. BurnBlues

BurnBlues Member

I recently traded some CDs, and I was wondering if the CDs the guy sent me were from MP3. I hear that MP3 "warbly" noise... but! these were also made from tapes... so I can't really tell...

Is there any software that will tell me about the files on the cd?

Thanks

Bernie aka "Burnin' Blues"

2. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

The "warbly" noise--like a slight whistle in the background, modulated by quieter, high frequency sections--is a sign of MP3 compression at or below 128kps. The files on the CD are probably .wav files. (Windows Explorer will identify them as such.) It is not possible to determine their source with software because the conversions change the file extensions; but if each file has its own name instead of a track number and details such as album source and artist's name, that would increase the liklihood that the source was MP3 files since it sometimes takes a bit of extra work to add that kind of data to .wav files.

Tape noise is different. Signals modulate tape hiss, and "warbly" noises would have to be from severe skewing that would show up as audible phase shifting and unstable images or from stiction problems that would also induce "squeeking."